Thread: FoCal Lens Distance Question(s)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_in_WA View Post
    Question 1: at 50X the target distance of the 100Macro would be: 100x50/25.4 =98.4252"=8.20' for the 5D MKII would that also hold true for the 7D with the 1.6 factor?
    Math error. 100x50/25.4 = 197" = 16' 5". Same distance for FF and 1.6x.

Question 2: My understanding is that the program, in Full Auto, will provide AFMA values throughout the focal range of the zoom lens and, untimately, will apply what it considers the best overall asjustment... Right? (or is it another Senior Moment?)
    No - you have to manually set the zoom (no motor, right? so, no computer control). Full auto determines the best AFMA setting for whatever focal length and distance you've set, then asks if you want to apply it.

Different focal lengths for a zoom lens, and different distances, will give different results. To test different focal lengths, you change the zoom setting, move the camera, and test again.

Question 3: Has anyone out there experimented with diffferent target distances (especially for the longer lenses) that have been aceptable or is the recommendation to adhere to the 50X?
    I've tested at 25x and 50x for lenses from 16mm to 200mm on a 7D and a 5DII.

I posted the results on another thread here in pieces, but I summarized everything, including factors leading to the AFMA choices I made from the data, here:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/ind....html#msg61329
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 01-26-2012 at 12:24 AM.