Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs help --will be very much appreciated

Re: Newbie needs help --will be very much appreciated

Thank you, I love learning about this camera but it is a complicated piece of machinery for me right now. I do not know soooo much it is scary. I read some postings on various topics and you guys all sound as if you spoke "martian" to me, LOL. When does it get easier? How did you learn so much about photography?

Nice shots BES! []

Quote Originally Posted by BES

How did you learn so much about photography?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

By reading Bryan's reviews LOL - thanks again Bryan!

I like the contrast in your images, keep up the good work!

Thank you daniel, but it is pure accident, I really do not know what I am doing yet. I have EVERYTHING to learn. I am so impressed by all the knowledge you all share. I am trully impressed by all of you.

Great shots! my favorite is the last one. As a fairly new digitalphotographer (can count how many years on one hand) I have to say that its alittle slow at first but then the ball starts rolling. Also the "martin" talk we can help with translation for now and then you will soon be fluent in "martin" as well.

I hope the advice helps, and you were right about the dogs, it does look like a painter could capture the image as well.

thanks

joel

I get most of my good pictures by accident. Don't knock it []

Most of the pictures I take I think will be good, though 15 minutes later my judgement usually kicks in.

I'd second Daniel's lens suggestions. A 70-300 (or is it 75-300)IS will round out your existing lens nicely, with a little overlap in range, and give you some nice features and performance. It's true that it's not as nice as the 70-200 lenses, but if you're comparing models with IS (which is really handy), it's also a lot cheaper. The 50mm prime is a no brainer for value. I can't speak to the flash, as I'm pretty inexperienced with flash, but I'd take his word for it. I still haven't gotten to playing with thelineup of flashes, umbrellas, and stands thatSean put together, very kindly. That's going to be fun. I want to see if I can make my dog look creepy []

I would say go for the 70-200 F4 IS. It fits in your price range and it is an excellent walk around lens. It has a very good IS for indoor pictures. And the lens takes excellent pictures outdoors. You will not regret buying it.

By the way, to clarify Colins doubt, they are two different lenses and 70-300 is better than the 75-300. But then both of them are not good enough. You will want to replace them in a few months of buying them

Cheers!

Dev

[]

that is correct, they are very patient with me, I can at least practice forever on them....in different light as they will stay motionless for 20 hours if no food is present, LOL.

Thanks for kind comments, I have so much to learn and I am really happy I have found this website.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]Your Pictures are nice, the only comment I have is that the allimage is in focus, there is no blur.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]This is due to the focal length of your zoom, and to the f opening you are using. <o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]I agree with Dev, and with everybody suggesting the 70-200L F4 IS, or 70-200L F2.8 (non IS), also in light or your shooting program to walk around and shoot people. In this case a zoom is a lot more versatile then a fix lens.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]Thesearelenses you will not regret in the future, all others are not even close to this one in quality for 1.100 $. Both are very sharp wide open, color and contrast are great at all focal lengths.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]You should choose between them with the following criteria: If your subject is not moving, F4 and IS produce the same speed of F2.8 without IS. If you shoot action IS will not stop movement, so F2.8 will produce a faster speed, to stop movement.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]Also F2.8 is a better portrait lens in my opinion producing a nicer blur. F4 is lighter and smaller than f2.8.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]One last choice, (out of budget 1.600 $) 70-200 F2.8 IS in this case you have everything, a little heavier and bigger than f 4. The best solution is to read Bryan review of these lenses, and to watch his pictures.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"][url="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Zoom-Lens-Reviews.aspx]http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Zoom-Lens-Reviews.aspx[/url]<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"](sorry for my English, I hope I am clear enough [:P])<o></o>

I have to concede, IF you're going to keep doing this, you won't regret either of the 70-200 IS zooms. They're expensive, but they're SO much fun.

My suggestion on the 70-300 IS was based on you just getting into it, and trying to maintain a budget, which allows you to get a 50mm prime and possibly a flash, as previously suggested. If that was your budget for the near future, I'd stick by sticking by the previously suggested combination.

However, yes, if you're looking for a long term purchase, and the bug has bitten hard and won't let go, the 70-200 zooms are undeniably great investments. Using my 70-200 f/2.8 IS is a giddy experience at times. If people aren't moving too fast, and you're steady, it can even be useful indoors. Sometimes the blur of one person going totally emotive, contrasted with the clarity of somebody listening, can be pretty cool too!