Thread: Nikon D800, 36 Megapixels and Blur

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    @ Raid - AV mode, ISO 100, f5.6 on both lenses, CR2 output, variable cloudiness all shots at 1/500s or faster. Same tripod used, mounting plates attached to tripod ring on lens, camera tethered and focus confirmed for every shot. All lenses are focus calibrated to each of my bodies just wanted to have remote release and ability to confirm focus on a bigger screen. To be more specific the OOF regions became grainier. The in-focus area started to show spots of different colours across uniformly coloured objects (cars) as well as smooth lines becoming rough and jagged (license plates, body panel edges, and printed signs throughout the parking lot). Just to be clear, these were parked cars and the 5D combo did not exhibit the same behaviour on the same targets. The 7D only showed these at greater distances. With closer targets there were no issues. The overall amount was not terribly great, but I was specifically looking for such issues at the 100% zoom level to see if it does exist and I found it.

70-200 was put on the 5D afterwards to see if problem was with lens. No problem there, just with the 7D. Does not rule out possibility of 7D having some other issue. Don't have other 7D bodies to confirm or deny. Post processing is able to clean up the shots with no difficulty, just wondering what is going on. A question without an answer is something that seizes my focus until solved.

Perhaps someone who is more familiar with the equations of optics wouldn't mind stepping in?

What I saw isn't making me want to sell my 7D. It will continue to function the same as it always has, and results when using it may improve the more I understand what it is capable of doing.

EDIT: I see someone with more specific knowledge replied while I was pecking away at the keyboard.
    Last edited by jrw; 02-19-2012 at 02:35 PM.