Thread: Shooting Tethered

Shooting Tethered

I have been super interested in shooting tethered lately. Here's why: I was in a contest on Tether Tools' facebook page that I was pretty sure I had a good chance of winning. I DID! They're sending me over $1500 in gear! So stoked. I never win anything!

So naturally I'm curious who on here shoots tethered, and how you have your set-up configured? Anyone shoot tethered via Eye-fi and iPad? Anyone own any of this stuff I won?

http://tethertalk.com/2012/02/24/ult...the-winner-is/

The prize is:
    • Tether Table Aero in black, choice of size
    • Manfrotto 190XB 3 Section Black Tripod with Ball Head 496RC2
    • Tether Tools Aero ProPad
    • Secure Strap for the Aero System
    • External Drive Compartment
    • Tethering Cable
    • Think Tank Pixel Sunscreen
    • JerkStopper Tethering Kit
    • Manfrotto 131DDB Tripod Accessory Arm – 4 Head
    • StrapMoore
    • Aero Cup Holder
    • Product Hooks
    • Manfrotto DB 131 2-Head Arm
    • Tripod Accessory Arm Bag & Storage Case
    • Zenfolio Premium Business Account
    • Wallee iPad Case + Tether Tools Connect Bracket
    • Animoto Pro Membership
    • Manfrotto Super Clamp & Magic Arm
    • Wallee Hand Grip
    • Eye-Fi Card
    Last edited by Rocco; 02-25-2012 at 07:25 AM.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Wow, congratulations! Seems like a really nice set of gear for tethered shooting. Was it a photography contest? If so, would you mind sharing the winning shot(s)?

(I rarely shoot tethered myself and can't give you any ideas on how to use your prize.)

*Winner was selected at random from a pool of the most active contest participants

Congrats Rocco.

Rocco - It looks like a cool set up. It would be great for studio work and macro work. The arm is something very simular to a Vangaurd set up Denise was talking about in another thread... she wanted it for table top macro work. Congrats.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

I shoot tethered a lot at work, taking macro shots of samples before and after destructive testing. Find for this work that the DSLR approach is simpler to use than the photomicroscopes in the lab. Use a salvaged cross-slide mechanism with a plate to mount the camera to for adjusting height above the specimen stage. More stable than any tripod. Just use EOS utility for this as it does all that is needed.

I've also played around some with the time-lapse feature at the beach and other locations. Just use a laptop for that to allow portability. Have never tried using anything but USB cable as I am quite reluctant to leave my equipment out unattended.

In a studio situation, wireless tethering should have advantages over using a cable with the primary one being increased range compared to the USB cable length limit. In the winter time, it could allow you to get some great shots at the slopes while you are cozied up the fireplace with beverage of choice in hand. I think you'll find that the possibilities are limited by your imagination and willingness to be some distance from your camera.

Congrats on the win. Think you'll have lots of fun using it.

Congrats, Rocco!!! I guess it does pay off to enter those facebook contests!

We will have to compare Manfrotto to Vanguard! Of course, Manfrotto will win quality wise but I bought Vanguard because of the savings in $. With you getting yours free, you win on quality and price!!

Denise

I just got a call from Tether Tools to discuss the options for my prize package. Also, they're making me their featured photographer for their March newsletter. (Undoubtedly because I was the contest winner, not solely because of my work. I'll take it though. )

Denise, What were your plans to use an arm like this for macro? I'm not sure I see how this would be set up.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

I believe she plans on using it on a tripod to reach over a table or further into a load of flowers for close-up work. I.e. for times when you can't get the tripod underneath what you're shooting.