Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bird in flight question

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Another thing I forgot earlier....if the custom functions of the 60D will allow it ...you could try switching the focus function to the AF-on button or the one just to the right of it so you can hold focus (in AI Servo mode) with your right thumb and fire the shutter with the right index finger. This keeps you from having to half press the shutter for focus. It's a technique called "rear focus" I am using it exclusively and it seems to really help for BIF images.
    In case anyone else was wondering: The T3i lets you configure the AE lock button for rear focus (in the Custom Functions). I think the 60D has a dedicated AF-On button.

Arnt

@4mozasmiles; trying to get BIF's off the feeder is tough even with the 1D's AF system. From the point the camera starts to track the bird takes a pretty big leap. I think you can increase your odds by adjusting your set up. You need some perchs close to the feeders for the birds to come in and roost on. I use old posts, branches or dead trees, then I set them up at a location close to the feeder and position them to the blind to get the angles and light I want. The more places the birds have to stop and sit the more it will slow them down and give you more oppritunity.

Well, the sun was shining again today so I tried several of your suggestions...I still have a long way to go! Finally gave up on autofocus and started manually focusing on the feeder or a nearby branch, etc. and just tried to hit the shutter in anticipation of the birds. It will take me a little more time to get used to the AF-ON button for AF. Stopping down to get the larger DOF seemed to help a lot. I also tried to pay more attention to the patterns of where the birds were landing prior to the feeder like you suggested (it is at a State Park - so I can't really do much with what is already there!). I also tried a few with a flash (and a Better Beamer) - but nothing turned out.

I really appreciate the help!

Brian

70-200 2.8ii (no extender this time) 200mm ISO 500 f/7.1 1/1600 Manual focus

So much easier when they sit still!

300mm 4 ISO 320 f/6.3 1/1600 manual focus

The second one is very sharp, nicely done with manual focus.

I like the pose in the first one but the feather detail is not there, did you run noise reduction on it? If so, it was a touch too strong and took away some detail but you did a good job with planning and executing the shot.

Thanks Joel, I am still having trouble with the feather detail when they are in flight. The noise reduction may have blurred it a little, but the blur was there in the original RAW file too. Although my other shots are less than pleasing visually, it shows that the movement and wing speed is beyond the 1/1000 to 1/2000 shutter speed I was using.

This one was with the Better Beamer on a 580exii. 300mm f/6.3 1/1000 ISO 640 manual focus, approximately 50ft from the feeder.
    Both birds should have been within the focal range here - right? Both birds were within about a foot of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by 4mozasmiles View Post
    Thanks Joel, I am still having trouble with the feather detail when they are in flight. The noise reduction may have blurred it a little, but the blur was there in the original RAW file too. Although my other shots are less than pleasing visually, it shows that the movement and wing speed is beyond the 1/1000 to 1/2000 shutter speed I was using.

This one was with the Better Beamer on a 580exii. 300mm f/6.3 1/1000 ISO 640 manual focus, approximately 50ft from the feeder.
    Both birds should have been within the focal range here - right? Both birds were within about a foot of each other.
    I would agree, they could easily be within the depth of field dpending on where the focus point is.

Check this out......http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Speaking using flash, I saw some images from Ramon Casares where he did a multiflash setup (like Bob Williams does for hummingbirds) for songbirds. He used a setup perch and pre-focused on that spot. some of the images were impressive.

http://www.ramoncasares.net/galerias...hp?id=2&page=4