Quote Originally Posted by jks_photo View Post
ok since you guys are on AF points of the 5D series......

Can somebody please tell me how the AF points [60 something i think] on the 5dIII can help me??? I use a 5DII and the only AF point I ever use is the CENTER AF. I seldom if ever shoot sports basically parties and get togethers is what i use my 5dII for....

I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out if the 5diii is worth the upgrade from my 5dii for my shooting needs......
thanks...
The previous posts have fairly well covered your question. In addition, having coverage across the frame by "good" autofocus points means that you won't have to rely as much on the centre point for accurate AF (as can be the case with the 5D2). A lot of people solely use the centre AF point and they focus then recompose. When using very wide aperture lenses this method does not always work due to a combination of focal plane variation (probably not the correct term) and the extremely narrow depth of field. With wide lenses, the centre of frame might be in focus while the outer areas of the frame will be out of focus slightly due to the narrow DOF. Often I am forced to use the centre point and recompose due to the outer focus points on the 5D2 suffering, particularly in low light.

I understand that the outer focus points in the 5D Mark III will not be cross type AF points, however there looks to be a broader area covered by cross type points that will provide better flexibility in composition while using autofocus.

Ben