Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Blog Post: Three years of Practice, What Now?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First Blog Post: Three years of Practice, What Now?

Well, After considerable pressure (Thanks Conropl), I finally finished my first blog post. Please check it out and let me know what you think.

http://rwilliamsimaging.com/blog

Bob
    Bob

When I read the word blog I didn't anticipate for an entire book

I'm sorry that I haven't read the entire thing. I guess I have read it all in your hummingbird-thread already. From scrolling down I see a good and clear story. I guess the goal in your blog is to keep people updated when you've made some new shots or improved or changed your gear? That seems like a nice idea. Good luck! I will subscribe through the RSS feed so I can watch updates when I view my email

Looks like you're off to a promising start for the new season.

The inaugural blog post is very clear and well written with nice images to illustrate the points made in the text.

I am anticipating many amazing images from your new HB box

(PS I am now a 1D MKIV owner!)

PS I am now a 1D MKIV owner!
    At Joel, Great News, Can't wait to see so more of your work come out of it.

@ All, Thanks for the blog comments. Now if the birds would hurry up and come so I can see if my green box is going to do it's job.
    Bob

Bob - Thank you for putting the blog together. I found it interesting and I have subscribed. I appreciate the time you take to share your knowledge with us.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Nice job Bob. I'm looking forward to following your posts and learning how to take hummingbird pictures.

Dave

Bob,

I'm having some trouble figuring out the technical portion of the setup.

Where do you station yourself and how do you trigger the shutter? I assume you must have some type of blind and are using a wired shutter release?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    Bob,

I'm having some trouble figuring out the technical portion of the setup.

Where do you station yourself and how do you trigger the shutter? I assume you must have some type of blind and are using a wired shutter release?

Dave
    Dave, this is the beauty of H-Bird photography. The green box is set up at one end of my back porch, and my camera is set up about 12 feet from the box at the other end of the back porch (my patio table sits between them). I also use an inexpensive radio trigger for the shutter release (about 30 bucks). So once I get everything set up, I just sit at my patio table and wait for the birds to hit the feeder. I do tray and make sure the feeder is out of the frame or replace the feeder with on or two flowers charged with sugar water. My focus point is usually the center or stem of the flower. After a few shots, I make adjustments as necessary and shoot again.

The nice part is no blind, the h-birds are very tolerant of people and equipment, so no need to hide. In fact, my wife often sits on the porch with me and we engage in normal conversation while I shoot.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Dave, this is the beauty of H-Bird photography. The green box is set up at one end of my back porch, and my camera is set up about 12 feet from the box at the other end of the back porch (my patio table sits between them). I also use an inexpensive radio trigger for the shutter release (about 30 bucks). So once I get everything set up, I just sit at my patio table and wait for the birds to hit the feeder. I do tray and make sure the feeder is out of the frame or replace the feeder with on or two flowers charged with sugar water. My focus point is usually the center or stem of the flower. After a few shots, I make adjustments as necessary and shoot again.

The nice part is no blind, the h-birds are very tolerant of people and equipment, so no need to hide. In fact, my wife often sits on the porch with me and we engage in normal conversation while I shoot.

Bob,

What radio shutter trigger do you recommend? It looks like my 60D doesn't have quite the options the higher end Canon camera have. B&H has a Vello B&H # VERWC1 that would appear to work.

Do you know if radio shutter's would work from behind a glass deck door?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    Bob,

What radio shutter trigger do you recommend? It looks like my 60D doesn't have quite the options the higher end Canon camera have. B&H has a Vello B&H # VERWC1 that would appear to work.

Do you know if radio shutter's would work from behind a glass deck door?

Dave
    I use the Bower wireless shutter release, cheap but works well. Here is a link to the B&H page http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes just pick the one that is right for your camera. They should work through glass as long as the range isn't too far.
    Bob