Thread: Can Dead Pixels be Sensor Dust?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I get the same thing on my 7D (maybe worse). It does not seem to be dust. Mine show up red, blue, or white, and they only become obvious with long exposures or dark areas. I spent a fare amount of time cleaning them up. However, there was one big benifit that I noticed when I got Lightroom in January... I no longer have to clean them up in PP - it does it automatically. I did not know this was a feature, but when I open a picture the spots will show up at first, then as the preview is fully rendered, it disappears. I do not know what it is doing or how, but the first time I saw them disappear on the screen I was happy not to have to deal with it anymore. Has anyone else noticed this? I do not believe it is the long exposure noise reduction setting in the camera because they do not get cleaned up in DPP.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Has anyone else noticed this?
    Yes. This has been a long-standing feature of Adobe Camera Raw (and therefore Lightroom). The downside is the same as most Adobe software: they don't give you any control over it. Other programs, like Bibble, let you disable the feature if desired, and even tune all the parameters of the algorithm for your particular camera (or shot). Adobe dumbs things down to the point of the extreme (IMHO).

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
    Yes. This has been a long-standing feature of Adobe Camera Raw (and therefore Lightroom). The downside is the same as most Adobe software: they don't give you any control over it. Other programs, like Bibble, let you disable the feature if desired, and even tune all the parameters of the algorithm for your particular camera (or shot). Adobe dumbs things down to the point of the extreme (IMHO).
    I usually want control as well, but I could not see any ill effect. I think it was doing less damage than what I was doing cleaning them up... so I am good. Thanks for confirming.

So that brings up another thought. I bet there are a lot of people out there with dead pixels that do not even know they have them, or they have a worse problem than they thought because Adobe is covering them up.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr