Page 19 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best Landscape...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    Beautiful scene Andy, but I think I can see the shadow of the helicopter that got you to the top.
    I wish. Actually, my home town has the world's busiest heliport (two helicopter terminals and just one for planes) but they only fly out to the oil rigs and I'm not allowed in one unless I'm dressed in a bright orange offshore survival suit with three layers of clothing underneath.

The last time I flew in a helicopter for leisure was in the Antarctic. We used them to get from the icebreaker to a drop-off point near the penguin colony. Have I told you about that trip yet?

Helicopter Above Frozen Weddell Sea by Andrew Stringer, on Flickr

Driving north through California, we passed through Mt. Shasta City and stayed a couple of nights. The first day was pouring rain, coming down so hard the animals were beginning to line up in pairs. The forecast called for continual gloom and despair for the days ahead. So I didn't make any plans to photograph the mountain... in fact I didn't even expect I would get to see it at all. But the next morning, we awoke to clear skies. Unbelievable. I grabbed the iPad and frantically searched for a good location to get a shot. This lake was a 10 minute drive away... bingo. The sun was at right angles so the polarizer worked very well. That and a 2-stop soft edge ND grad, and a 2-shot HDR did the trick. Just ten minutes after this photo, we were stunned to see the clouds come right back and wrap the mountain in a thick blanket. I have to say, we were very lucky indeed.

Stunning shot, Jonathan. A bit of luck, a lot of hustle, and the right equipment all paid off.
    Mark - Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stringer View Post

The last time I flew in a helicopter for leisure was in the Antarctic. We used them to get from the icebreaker to a drop-off point near the penguin colony. Have I told you about that trip yet?

Umm yes, we know you are the penguin whisperer.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Beautiful shot Jonathan, impressive peak, perfect reflection.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Another beauty Jonathan.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Fantastic picture Jonathan! That picture belongs in a calendar.

Dave

Senior Member francongphotography's Avatar
    A shot taken from downtown Vancouver.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6852809530_37ec917475.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	676
    Canon 5D Mk II, 550D/T2i, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 L USM, 17-40mm f/4 L USM, 24-105mm f/4 L USM, 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM, 320EX speedlite

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/franco_ng/

Thanks very much, everyone, and thanks for always inspiring me through this forum with your own wonderful examples. It's a great feeling when you are standing in front of a perfect scene, and all the stars are aligned for the shot. I was so giddy, I could barely contain myself. It's gifts like this that keep me hooked on the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stringer View Post
    [...]

Given that you were in the Antarctic, this picture made me think "Please ... come ... back"