Thread: Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM (renting vs. my 100-400mm) for day trip

Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM (renting vs. my 100-400mm) for day trip

Hi All -

I am planning another day trip out to Horicon Marsh in about 2 weeks and can't wait! When I was out there before, all I kept thinking was next time I need to bring a longer lens since most of the birds that hadn't left yet for the winter were quite a distance away (pelicans, egrets, herons). Now, going early in the spring, there will be more songbirds in the trees somewhat closer but still the farther distanced birds.

I am wondering if I should once again just go with my Canon 100-400mm and crop the photos when needed or rent the Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 OS HSM for $100? Will I really notice and benefit from that extra 100mm? According to Roger's take at LensRental, the Sigma is pretty sharp but hmmm, sharper than the 100-400mm (cropped)? Plus, it weighs a pound more than my Canon. Will I really feel that added pound? I have been suffering for a month now with severe lower back pain and was diagnosed with spinal arthritis but the meds the doc put me on didn't help a bit so it could be something else.

Being unemployed, I can't afford to rent the Canon tele's especially with gas prices being $4.10+/gal. Gas prices alone almost cancelled my thoughts of going!

Suggestions and thoughts greatly appreciated!

Denise
    Last edited by ddt0725; 03-21-2012 at 02:29 PM.

I wouldn't rent it. Any improvement if any would be marginal and you would be using an untested lens vs one your confident with.

There may be some instances where the extra 100mm would be nice and there are some pro bird photogs using the sigma zooms with excellent results (check Robert O'Toole) .... to me it could be worth $100 of fun just to try something different. If you think you would enjoy it I say go for it, at the very least you will find out for yourself in a "real world" scenario if you like it or not.