Thread: Looking for 20mm - The Zeiss Brothers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Meanwhile, seems I was wrong on the old versions of Zeiss 20mm, there were only ever f/2.8 and f/4.0 versions, no f/2.0 (maybe I dreamed that). And they came in m42 as well as C/Y mounts.
    Anyway, read this thread for opinions on the f/2.8 vs f/4.0, third post down is useful. In short, the f/4.0 is apparently sharper, but not great, somewhere I've read that the Nikon 20mm is better than both.
    Also, I read something yesterday but now i've lost the link, comparing the 20mm Zeiss to the 16-35L (mk1 i think). The 16-35 won easily for wide-open sharpness, and much better contrast and colours (but then, the 20mm is only $300 or so).

In short, from what i've read reviews and such, if you can afford the 21mm ZE Zeiss, go for it, I wish I could. 1mm longer probably won't make too much difference to your framing I hope...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    In short, from what i've read reviews and such, if you can afford the 21mm ZE Zeiss, go for it, I wish I could. 1mm longer probably won't make too much difference to your framing I hope...
    21mm should be OK, from my tests. 18mm is too wide, I do notice the difference. Also I can afford the 21mm if I want it, the larger question is would I prefer the prime, or should I just stay with the zoom that offers a bit more flexibility, which comes in handy time to time.

But better IQ and corner sharpness, plus that crazy all mechanical build would be awesome. Plus I wouldn't mind being back in primes.