Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on a B+W Cr Pl

With an EF lens on an APS-C camera, you can put a thick stack of filters with no worry about vignetting.

A while back I tested the EF-S 10-22mm - you can stack an XS-Pro and F-Pro (or an XS-Pro and Slim CPL) with no mechanical vignetting. Two XS-Pro plus an F-Pro and you see the filter. Details here:

Filter stacking and vignetting at 10mm by Dr_Brain, on Flickr

Thanks neuro and others, I think I'm leaning towards the B+W 77mm Kaesemann XS-Pro Circular Polarizer MRC Nano Filter; The Tiffen that I have now is pretty decent, I just don't like how I can't mount a lens cap to it. I'm considering spending this much $ on the filter ~$200 since it seems to be high quality and I can put it on my two landscape lenses. I'm not sure if I'm ready to spend that much cash right now though and may wait for a sale or a deal from someone as I'm trying to save up for a new lens as well.
    --

Hi, I have the same two lenses (10-22 and 24-105), both with permanently attached Hoya Pro1 UV-filters that are rather slim. My 77 mm CPL is a basic Hoya HMC polarizer that you wouldn’t call slim, and when they are stacked (Hoya Pro1 + Hoya HMC CPL) on the 10-22 there’s mechanical vignetting up to around 12 mm focal length. However - as already mentioned - the CPL effect at really wide angels is tricky since the CPL effect highly depends on the shooting angle (vs. the sun). By experience I avoid focal lengths below around 16-17 mm when using the CPL, so for me the mechanical vignetting at 10-12 mm isn’t really an issue.

cls, do you have this problem with just the CPL at 10; it sounds like you don't shoot that wide with it but I'm wondering if you've tested it. I don't always shoot that wide with a CPL, but sometimes I have to.
    --

To be honest I never tried using only the CPL (I basically only remove the UV when it's so dirty it needs washing). My guess is that the CPL wouldn't be visible in the frame, but that it would still affect vignetting. I could check it.

Hi again, the question made me curious so I made a not too scientific test with only my basic Hoya CPL on the 10-22. (According to a ruler in my drawer this CPL is about 8 mm thick.)

At 10 mm the CPL is still slightly visible in the far corners. At 11 mm it's no longer visible, but it adds some vignetting compared to shooting with the bare lens. At 12 mm and above I see no significant difference between lens with/without CPL with respect to vignetting. So, if you want to shoot at 10 mm with a CPL it should be thinner than 8 mm. Hope this answers your questions.