Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Going FF - need to settle on a lens-logic!

I actually do have those 3 primes but I was suggesting 21 or 24 or 35, they are totally different and in my opinion are about the best glass you can buy. Most people would be happy with any of them. My favourite is the Zeiss 35/1.4, it is the best lens that I have used but comes at a cost. The 24/1.4 is another fantastic lens and is unbelievably easy to use and the results are superb. The Zeiss 21/2.8 is in a class of its own for landscape work and has a cult following. I would suggest a search on Flickr for any lens that you are considering, you will see a heaps of examples.
    I have the 5DMK3 and the weather sealing is about as good as you can get at the moment. I only recently bought a "raincoat" for my camera so I don't have any experience with weather extremes. It might be hostile crowds and thick weather that I have been dodging. Anyway, I don't want to get them wet if I can help it and tend to not worry about shooting in torrential rain. Don't get snow where I am.
    I thought the whole point of this thread was that you were going FF so the 7D shouldn't enter into considerations.
    As for the use of those primes, there is obviously some overlap, I picked up the 24 first, then the 21 as a bargain and paid a lot for the 35, I can't sell any of them. They are just way too good to part with. I use the 24 the least, but I will never ditch it. I use it mainly for environmental portraits.(parties) The 21 is for landscape. And the 35 is a walk-around lens in conjunction with the 70-300mm, this is a killer combo, that I think has no peer as far as IQ goes and is just a dream to use.
    As stated in my previous posts the 24-70 or 24-105 are still the handiest lenses to have. I have a 24-70 and I still use it for weddings, when brides want quality shots, this lens does it very well and it does it easy. In my first post I said that if I'm shooting for somebody else, I use a quality zoom, when you have to get the shot. If I was on a holiday in a remote place and I needed to record my adventures I would use a quality zoom, because I know with my limited skills, it would be just one more thing I wouldn't have to worry about.
    As far as the nex7 goes, I am saving for one of them now, I think they are very special.
    All these different combinations make your head spin, I know, I have been there, but I firmly believe there is no one right answer and every consideration here is offered with good intention, so in the long run you make a choice for yourself and know that at the time it was right and you might eventually, change your mind.
    Doesn't mean it was wrong.
    Good luck, can't wait to see some of your photos, with whatever combo you choose.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    I actually do have those 3 primes but I was suggesting 21 or 24 or 35, they are totally different and in my opinion are about the best glass you can buy. Most people would be happy with any of them. My favourite is the Zeiss 35/1.4, it is the best lens that I have used but comes at a cost. The 24/1.4 is another fantastic lens and is unbelievably easy to use and the results are superb. The Zeiss 21/2.8 is in a class of its own for landscape work and has a cult following. I would suggest a search on Flickr for any lens that you are considering, you will see a heaps of examples.
    I have the 5DMK3 and the weather sealing is about as good as you can get at the moment. I only recently bought a "raincoat" for my camera so I don't have any experience with weather extremes. It might be hostile crowds and thick weather that I have been dodging. Anyway, I don't want to get them wet if I can help it and tend to not worry about shooting in torrential rain. Don't get snow where I am.
    I thought the whole point of this thread was that you were going FF so the 7D shouldn't enter into considerations.
    As for the use of those primes, there is obviously some overlap, I picked up the 24 first, then the 21 as a bargain and paid a lot for the 35, I can't sell any of them. They are just way too good to part with. I use the 24 the least, but I will never ditch it. I use it mainly for environmental portraits.(parties) The 21 is for landscape. And the 35 is a walk-around lens in conjunction with the 70-300mm, this is a killer combo, that I think has no peer as far as IQ goes and is just a dream to use.
    As stated in my previous posts the 24-70 or 24-105 are still the handiest lenses to have. I have a 24-70 and I still use it for weddings, when brides want quality shots, this lens does it very well and it does it easy. In my first post I said that if I'm shooting for somebody else, I use a quality zoom, when you have to get the shot. If I was on a holiday in a remote place and I needed to record my adventures I would use a quality zoom, because I know with my limited skills, it would be just one more thing I wouldn't have to worry about.
    As far as the nex7 goes, I am saving for one of them now, I think they are very special.
    All these different combinations make your head spin, I know, I have been there, but I firmly believe there is no one right answer and every consideration here is offered with good intention, so in the long run you make a choice for yourself and know that at the time it was right and you might eventually, change your mind.
    Doesn't mean it was wrong.
    Good luck, can't wait to see some of your photos, with whatever combo you choose.
    Thanks for the reply. The 7D thing was just for comparison and not under consideration, so let me just kill that off before my head explodes
    But thanks for the input on the different primes, it's always useful to hear how/what other people are using them for. I'm sure you're right there's no right answer, so I'll just have to settle on a solution and try it out at some point, but it's always useful to get as much input on the candidates as possible to create a more nuanced idea of what I'm going into. I appreciate all the input thus far even if it does make my head spin sometimes, but getting the thoughts out loud seems to actually help as well

The Zeiss 21/2.8 is in a class of its own for landscape work and has a cult following.
    Steve; will I have to shave my head to get in the cult.? If so it might be tough to sell my wife on letting me buy a new Zeiss.

It's not a matter of if you join this cult Rick, but when. Shaving is optional.
    Steve U

It's not a matter of if you join this cult Rick, but when. Shaving is optional.
    I am just waiting to read more about Daniels D800 so I know if I need a Nikon or Canon mount Zeiss.

As well that will determine whether I tattoo an N or a C on the back of my shaven head.

If you think Zeiss is culty try Leica. Those guys trully perfected the art of cult, check the price of there 50mm f/0.95! The EF 50mm f/1.0 seems like a great value in comparison, which by the way I want to buy at some point in the future. Juza has a review of the 50mm f/1.0, the review is in two parts here are the links http://www.juzaphoto.com/article.php?l=en&article=59 and http://www.juzaphoto.com/article.php?l=en&article=105.

Cheers,
    John.
    Last edited by FastGass; 04-14-2012 at 03:56 AM.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

Spot on John. Met a guy who wants to swap the MK3 for a weekend for his Leica M9 & lenses. I am a bit reluctant but he said who's taking the risk here, his camera and one lens is worth $25000. I have never even touched a Leica so it might be fun to try the 50/1.0.
    Steve U

I mean... online it says body only M9 is about 8 big ones. No autofocus with the M9. And parallax error with close ups. A lot of people swear by those rangefinders. If you don't like it will he switch back?
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Yes he will switch back, for sure, the camera bag he will be lending me for the weekend, will have a replacement value of at least $50000. It will be fun just to try a kit like this. He also has a Hasselblad, so if I return the Leica in good condition I might get to have a play with that.
    Steve U

Just sell your wife... use the money for the lens??? In a cult you don't need a wife....

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Steve; will I have to shave my head to get in the cult.? If so it might be tough to sell my wife on letting me buy a new Zeiss.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911