Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shying away from used gear

Shying away from used gear

So why do people tend to shy away from used gear? I personally have never had a problem with used equipment. Ive only every bought maybe 3 items new, a couple of minolta lenses a the time.

Re: Shying away from used gear

People shy away from used gear because they don't know the history/exact condition of the item before purchase. Personally, I'm adamant about protecting my equipment and taking care of it. I know that, should I decide to sell any of it, the next owner will be getting items that were properly cared for. However, the next owner will simply have to take my word on that until they get the item in their hands. While many lenses last for years (and years), today's lenses are almost like cars--there's alot more that can malfunction than there was 20 years ago.

That said, I just bought a used Canon 430EZ (with case) yesterday from KEH for $35. I've got no problem buying used, especially from a reputable dealer with a decent return policy (should something not work as described).

I hear you with some people just not taking care of gear, which is why I never buy ebay. I swear by KEH and have found the best deals with the BGN ratings.

Only problem with KEH is they tend to jack up shipping prices, but I live in VA so from order to recieve at my door is generally 2 days.

I've only bought one lens new, the 50mm f/1.8 because it was so cheap. And I got my body two years ago from a store, didn't start getting lenses for about 6 months, when I saw how much I could save buying from ebay. I knew the risks, and I accepted them.

The rest I got off ebay for dirt cheap compared to their retail price. All the glass was crystal clear and only my 85mm f/1.8 had a slight wear on the plastic.

Like I got the 85mm for about $260, a old-ish but great Sigma 15-30mm for $315 and a 430EX for $180. If I don't trust the seller, I won't even bother watching the item. ie misslabeled information, lack of detailed photos of item, low rating, ect.

I shy away from used because, most of the time the prices are not that much lower than new. If I'm only going to save $100 on a lens that is normally $1500, I'd rather pay the extra $100 and get brand new.

I'm not opposed to it if it is a substantial savings and the condition is close enough to new.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

I shy away from used because, most of the time the prices are not that much lower than new. If I'm only going to save $100 on a lens that is normally $1500, I'd rather pay the extra $100 and get brand new.

I'm not opposed to it if it is a substantial savings and the condition is close enough to new.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I agree. Refurbished gear at Adorama on the other hand appears to be new, is substantially cheaper, and come with a warrenty/return policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

<div style="CLEAR:both;"]</div>

I agree. Refurbished gear at Adorama on the other hand appears to be new, is substantially cheaper, and come with a warrenty/return policy.

Yes. I would definitely go the refurb route. In fact I have been talking myself out of the 1D III they have for $2999 for over a month now.

I just wanted to put my plug in for Adorama refurbished. My entire initial kit (1 body, 2 lenses)was refurbished, and as far as I could tell it was brand new, not a single mark or scratch. I saved a considerable amount of money; the same equipment purchased brand new locally would have been at least $300-$400 more. My only complaint is their shipping prices to Canada, but I bought back when the Canadian dollar was good, so in the end it was well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by TSEvanson

I just wanted to put my plug in for Adorama refurbished. My entire initial kit (1 body, 2 lenses)was refurbished, and as far as I could tell it was brand new, not a single mark or scratch. I saved a considerable amount of money; the same equipment purchased brand new locally would have been at least $300-$400 more. My only complaint is their shipping prices to Canada, but I bought back when the Canadian dollar was good, so in the end it was well worth it.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Same experience... Adorama's refurbished stuff is great. I built my daughter's whole kit (except the body) from Adorama refurbished gear. Her tear sheets cover most of the major newspapers and magazines in the area, so the gear must work OK. LOL

You know, if I'm going to drop five hundred bones on a piece of equipment, I want to be the one that breaks the seals myself. Hell, it bugs me when friends get their fingers all over my toys first, let alone a stranger!

Just call it my OCD side. (: