Page 54 of 101 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best Macro shots

Joel

I did allot of research when I bought mine, and opted for the 24ex. I haven't used the 14ex but most of the complaints I remember reading were that it tended to make your subject feel flat because the light is direct and head on.

The complaints about the 24ex are that it is a harsh light, and indeed it is. I bought diffuser for mine. One of the advantages I see in the 24ex is that it gives you more control, both in the flash itself and the ability to adjust, move and remove the heads independently to different locations.

But, my advice for you is that while you would probably make use of either flash, you are well suited with your gear to jump in to macro without either one. With all of your back yard bird gear and off camera flashes I think you have a good equipment foundation to start with. Of course this is just like birding and wildlife; I know we both probably have our eye set on the 500mm II when it comes out.

Rick

Edit: or 600mm II
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 05-09-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Joel, get the twin heads. I burrow one from a professor down the hall all the time when I take photos of museum specimens. I love the fact that when I have my camera mounted on a tripod and I'm aiming at something static I can pull the flashes off and hold them wherever I want. You pretty much have infinite ability to fill in shadows or create shadows.
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

On flickr I posted two versions of this texture & flower but I think I like this one more ...

Columbine by Denise Trocio ( www.dtrociophotography.com), on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Speaking of flashes.....do you folks that are experienced Macro shooters recommend the ring flash units or the twin head units for use with the Canon 180mm macro? Which one produces the best results in your opinion?
    Joel, I am not a Macro shooter, but I thought about it once and purchased the canon ringlight. However, If I had to do it over again I would buy an extra speedlight of your choice and one of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...h_Bracket.html or something like it---It just makes more sense to me now.

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Joel, I am not a Macro shooter, but I thought about it once and purchased the canon ringlight. However, If I had to do it over again I would buy an extra speedlight of your choice and one of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...h_Bracket.html or something like it---It just makes more sense to me now.

Bob
    Bob your idea I think is a good one. Even if you own the 24ex it is a good one, you can use the bracket and get the two flashes off camera at various angles. It would work with other flashes as well. I have actually thought about buying the Wimberly version of this type of bracket for this purpose. The only thing stoping me is that I haven't had the macro lenses out in five months.

The problem with the ring light and the 24ex is that mounted on the camera the light comes straight dead on. I think it is just like any other flash photography, for the best results get the flashes off the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    On flickr I posted two versions of this texture & flower but I think I like this one more ...
    WHoa Denise----Nice Work ---+3 up thumbs
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Speaking of flashes.....do you folks that are experienced Macro shooters recommend the ring flash units or the twin head units for use with the Canon 180mm macro? Which one produces the best results in your opinion?
    Pick up a copy of the June 2012 Outdoor Photographer magazine. It has an artical about macro flash gear. Basically the artically talks down the ring flashes as creating a flat shot because it creats an even light with no direction. Where as, the twin flashes with a flash brackets allow you to direct the flash to creat depth and fill at the same time. It also gives some flash backet options to choose from. If you do not want the hard copy, here is the web site version of the artical:

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/h...cro-flash.html
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

I am thinking about "digitizing" my old print photos not with a scanner but with my macro lens. Any thoughts on which flash would be better for take shots of a photo?

Wouldn't flash have a bad reaction with a picture? I had issues with storms one year and ruined most of my newspaper shots and all of my travel pics. Rather than stressing, I reached for my 100mm and started taking shots of each straight on with no flash. Everything turned out fine, so I threw the sewer water versions away.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I am buying this flash bracket to use with my flashes and modifiers. I have seen it in action and it's great. Manfrotto 330B