Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: canon 50mm 1.4 vs sigma 50mm 1.4 vs zeiss 50mm 1.4

If I had the 24-70 mk2, I would have the Zeiss 50, but I don't so i would probably go for the Canon 50/1.2 as the length of that lens lends itself to AF. 50mm and 85mm I would use for people shots and fast AF is very helpful and the 50/1.2 is fast and accurate and wiiiide.
    At 35mm and 21mm the Zeiss wins hands-down for me.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

No mention of Leica?
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Never even held a Leica, but i do own and love me Zeiss.
    Steve U

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    If I had the 24-70 mk2, I would have the Zeiss 50, but I don't so i would probably go for the Canon 50/1.2 as the length of that lens lends itself to AF. 50mm and 85mm I would use for people shots and fast AF is very helpful and the 50/1.2 is fast and accurate and wiiiide.
    At 35mm and 21mm the Zeiss wins hands-down for me.
    I have never used manual focusing till now, is it easy or does it needs to be mastered before getting zeiss?

Also read complaints from several users regarding back focusing issue for ef 50mm 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    How about this lens;
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Planar_ZE.html

gandhi; In an earlier post you were debating between the 35mm F/1.4 and a 50mm. This lens is in the price range of the 35mm L and I think it might be the best choice.

Thoughts any one? I could use a good 50mm as well.
    I already have EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM so I want to get the 50mm

Quote Originally Posted by gandhi View Post
    I already have EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM so I want to get the 50mm
    The link was to the Zeiss 50mm F/2, it was the lens I was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhi View Post
    I have never used manual focusing till now, is it easy or does it needs to be mastered before getting zeiss?
    Zeiss has a fairly long focus throw, so they are relatively easy to manual focus.
    Back focus with 50/1.2 is not an issue if further than a metre away, I have never shot closer than that with it.
    These 5 are all great lenses with superior IQ. The two (2) Zeiss are MF and very different and both very good.
    Because I have a few 77mm filters and you would also have a few already owning the 24mm, the Sigma offers great IQ and the same filter size and is probably best value for money for you.
    Steve U

What you shoot is a big part of the MF AF debate. Still subjects and time to compose and focus? MF isn't a big issue. Otherwise I found MF to be a big hindrance. On my Zeiss 35/2, which I sold, the shots were AMAZING when I got the focus right - which was not often enough when trying to shoot anything moving. The keeper rate was too low for me to justify keeping the lens.

After reading this thread and reading up on the 50mm lenses, I am thinking about giving the Zeiss 50mm F/2 Makro Planar a go. I think with its close minimum focus distance and sharpness wide open it could be a very creative fun lens to own. The choice would be a new one from B&H for $1,283 or a used one from LensRentals.com for $1,025.

Steve; I appreciate your thoughts, I'm not much of a people shooter and I don't think the AF will be a big issue for what I like to do. Which brings up another thought, you use Manual Focus lenses with the new 5D III. When I went from the 5D II and 7D to the 1D IV I noticed that it is much easier to manual focus with the 1D IV, it seems to have a better clearer view and more light. Does the 5D III seem better than the 5D II for manual focus?