Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lens for weddings and portraits

Re: lens for weddings and portraits

Take a look at the Canon 135 F/2 L USM. its really wide aperture for its length and very very sharp.

low light capabilities

and great portrait lens for headshots things of that nature.

16-35 2.8 L II is all you need.

DISCLAIMER: I just got this lens and really stoked on it. The above comment is based on my delusional bliss I am experiencing with said lens.

You may actually need another lens or two.

The 70-200 is a great lens for weddings. If you can afford it, then buy it. (You might want to use a tripod)

Other excellent wedding lenses you might want to check out:

the 24-105 f 4 is (previously mentioned)

the 85mm f 1.2 (best portrait lens)

the 24-70 f 2.8 (my personal choice, has great image quality, has wide angle and some telephoto)

Good Luck!

If you are taking portraits, and want only a person's face/body to show up on a photo, you should buy the 85mm f 1.2.

It's overpriced but its background blur capability is unmatched.

Generally it is agreed that the "bread and butter" wedding lens is the 24-70 f 2.8 . The 70-200 is more expensive, but has many more uses. (It can be used as a macro lens (with a 500d close up lens), a wildlife lens with a 1.4x converter, a portrait lens, wedding lens, and sports lens. The 24-70 and 85 are almostexclusivelyportrait/wedding lenses. So:

If you are doing weddings, get the 24-70.

If you are doing portraits, get the 85.

If you want to do everything possible with one quality lens, get the 70-200.

PS: There are no right or wrong answers or choices. It completely depends on your style as a photographer. It's up to you. Seriously.

Your approach of the subject and your vision and skills (technical and social) will dictate your equipment, For example, if you shoot it docmentary style wide angle like the famous Jeff Ascough, you won't need any 70-200 at all. He shoots primarily with two lenses: the 16-35 II and the 35 prime. It does mean you're IN the scene and very close to your subjects but his work is amazing. So many different ways to shoot, means before you ask questions you will need a vision or at least a general idea of the WAY YOU are going to do this.

Good luck!

PS: Google Ascough and be amazed at his work. He is easily the best wedding photographer in the world. It's very inspirational :-)

I suggest you eliminate the - bit pricy - thaught pattern. You will allways be held to inferior equipment otherwise. Weddings equate to professionalism. Cheep advise is expensive. I feel you have chosen well for your zoom lens. However (for your second lens) I do recomend a smaller lens perhaps 20-50mm for close ups.