Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: canon 50mm 1.4 vs sigma 50mm 1.4 vs zeiss 50mm 1.4

Hey Rick, the Zeiss are not hard to Manual Focus, definitely the 5D III makes things easier, being the latest and the best.
    Here are 2 shots one AFand one MFwhich one do you prefer, straight OOC, very bright day nothing adjusted.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BindiandBellaA.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	1089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BindiandBellaB.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	1090
    Both f8.0 ISO100 1/400sec, 50mm.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    Hey Rick, the Zeiss are not hard to Manual Focus, definitely the 5D III makes things easier, being the latest and the best.
    Here are 2 shots one AFand one MFwhich one do you prefer, straight OOC, very bright day nothing adjusted.

Both f8.0 ISO100 1/400sec, 50mm.
    Steve, thanks;

Looking at normal size, they are very equal. The manual focus vs auto focus sure doesn't matter.

I saved the pics and took a closer look in full screen view. I really didn't see much of anything that gave one the edge over the other until I got to 400% or more. All in all I think I would be very happy with either lens.

The Macro ability is the thing that might push me more toward the Zeiss. I had the Zeiss in the cart twice last week, once even had the credit card number entered and then changed my mind. I keep thinking I should wait and try and get a 24-70mm II when it comes out instead.

Are you prepared to try and guess which is the Canon 50/1.2 and which is the Zeiss?
    Steve U

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    Are you prepared to try and guess which is the Canon 50/1.2 and which is the Zeiss?
    It is the top one. It was the one I guessed and it really was just a guess, but honestly I know for sure now since I have seen the EXIF data

Most of the differences I could see at 400x or better could easily be attributed to camera angle and framing, or could have been lens. The differences I see are in the bokeh in the background. The main subjects are near identical. The top pictures seems to handle the OOF area better. There is a bit of difference in the colors, but that could be just a slight variation in color temperature from one to the next. The lower picture also has a color cast on the side of the dogs face, not sure if this from the light reflecting off of the dog's clothes or if it is an aberration. Probably just the light.

The wife liked the top one as well, her comments were that the background shadows looked more natural (whatever that means)

All in all if comparing the two pics neither one wins over the other IMO. It appears the decision of one over the other would be AF vs Macro.

Yeak I liked the top one as well and I don't know why. It literally took me about 200 shots to get 2 with the same ISO and shutter speed to compare in real life terms. People in the Zeiss world talk about Zeiss rendering of colours and so on, I don't see it but I do like using them, they tend to push you as a photographer and I like that.
    BTW, how do you check Exif data when I just upload like this?
    Steve U

Steve, I right clicked on the pictures and saved them in a folder. Then viewed them with adobe bridge. The exif data was there.

I got sigma lens , pics are amazing ,colors are great and are tack sharp.