Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me it wont be that bad

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    well here is the end to this sad story. After drying out the camera the best I could I sent it in to Canon. Big surprise....its beyond repairable.

Now I have to decide what to do from here. It was a really big expense for me to buy the first one and so its going to be more difficult to get myself to justify spending the money on a second copy. (although I already know I wont be able to live without it, seeing as how it was my favorite possession)
    Im trying to decide what I should do with the old lens once I get it back from Canon. Should I try to do something to it myself to try and make it somewhat usable again? try to sell it for? take it apart just for the heck of it since I cant ruin it anymore? Any suggestions.

Thanks for all the support everyone, hopefully nobody else has the same luck.

Nick

Once you get it back from Canon, try some of the techniques listed in this thread to see if there's anything you can do to make the lens useable...even if for a short period of time. As you said, you can't really hurt it any more, so any outcome other than "brick" can be considered a positive one.

Quote Originally Posted by nvitalephotography View Post
    Im trying to decide what I should do with the old lens once I get it back from Canon. Should I try to do something to it myself to try and make it somewhat usable again? try to sell it for? take it apart just for the heck of it since I cant ruin it anymore? Any suggestions.
    Isn't this the exact situation they created Craigslist for? Keep these rules in mind when selling on Craigslist. Always meet in public places, people are less suspicious if they are comfortable. Never let them come to your house, they could come back later wanting their money back. Always take cash, checks can be canceled at their bank, also your signature on a check can be traced back to you.

Of course none of that is serious advice, I feel for you losing your lens.

Wow...

I am with Sean. What do you have to loss.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

That's too bad, if Canon won't fix it, I would think it is a waste of time to try and fix it, because most people want that sharp, clear image and I think anything less than that and you won't be happy. So...
    You could grow a nice plant in it.
    Trophy mount it and put it on the wall as a momento.
    Try selling it as is, or as a trophy.
    A lot of home contents insurance policies have an amount for loss or broken electrical devices or personal items to a set value, not full replacement, but any little bit helps. Was the lens stored at someone's house that has one of those policies?

Sorry for your loss, Nick.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Man, sorry for your loss! IF you are a member of the PPA they are now offering free insurance on camera equipment up to $15,000! I know that doesn't help now but I have found a lot of people didn't know about the insurance.
    Owner of Deevers Photography. If you have some time, visit my website at deeversphoto.com.

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    Okay so there is a positive ending to this story. After letting the lens just sit on a shelf for several months, I decided to put it up on eBay and see if anyone would pay for a lens in this condition. I posted pictures and explained that it had been underwater. I thought I might get like $100 for it. Well I was totally shocked when the auction ended....it sold for $800. I thought for sure the person just didn't understand what they were buying, but I received positive feedback saying it was as described.

So that money combine with the great deal I got on a replacement one, it made this a much less painful loss.

Wow, that's definitely a positive ending to the store. Thanks for the update!

Quote Originally Posted by nvitalephotography View Post
    Okay so there is a positive ending to this story. After letting the lens just sit on a shelf for several months, I decided to put it up on eBay and see if anyone would pay for a lens in this condition. I posted pictures and explained that it had been underwater. I thought I might get like $100 for it. Well I was totally shocked when the auction ended....it sold for $800. I thought for sure the person just didn't understand what they were buying, but I received positive feedback saying it was as described.

So that money combine with the great deal I got on a replacement one, it made this a much less painful loss.
    Maybe the person who bought it from you has already sold it on craigslist as a mint condition lens for $1200. Scary thought that it is still in circulation, but you did the right thing making sure they knew.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Maybe the person who bought it from you has already sold it on craigslist as a mint condition lens for $1200. Scary thought that it is still in circulation, but you did the right thing making sure they knew.
    Interesting....

Just make sure you don't buy your lens on Craigslist. You might end up buying back your own lens.