Thread: 85mm F/1.2 L II- anyone using this?

85mm F/1.2 L II- anyone using this?

I search daily for deals on a few different lenses, now this lens isn't on my wish list, or at least wasn't.. but same lens has been available for a month at a very decent price.

Is anyone here using the EF 85mm f/1.2L II? or similar?

What do you use it for most?

I have no primes at this time, and although strictly do not need this lens I can pick it up for about the same as the 100L macro so keep looking at it ...
    any thoughts?
    Is this a lens one you use often, or seldom take out of the bag?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kombi View Post
    I can pick it up for about the same as the 100L macro so keep looking at it ...
    any thoughts?

Thanks
    If it is in good condition, do not hesitate. Jump on it as fast as you can.
    You will love this lens. I would use it most for portraits but there are many uses for it.
    Mark

That's a sweet deal if the lens is in good condition, and it's the MkII version. I have the EF 85mm f/1.2L II, and as Mark suggests, I use it primarily for portraits. The AF is pretty slow, so it's a challenge to use it with fast-moving subjects. But...the IQ and the uber-thin DoF are amazing.

In this website (and many others) you have a very positive review of the Sigma 85 mm f/1.4.

Great Great lens
    You need to know that it is 'slow' to autofocus.
    Great for portraits, maybe not for moving subjects.
    And know the DOF on this lens is very small.
    Great results, but expect some nonkeepers.
    I have not tried it on the 5D Mark III yet.

I would use it for portraits or candids.

It's a little long for close-up indoor work on a crop body, but if you're in a larger room or using FF than it's perfect for that sort of thing.

It's a little slow to AF, it also has electronic manual focusing, but it's a Magical one-of-a-kind-Lens and well worth it!

Be careful mounting the lens onto the body, as the rear glass is very close to the mounting ring and it's easy to scratch the rear glass, if mounting without looking.

Did I mention that it's Magical!!

Rich

Thanks all.
    I read much of the same, in reviews, and trolled photos on flickr with that lens and decided to take the plunge!

But got my hopes up too soon- phone number in add is not in service. probably why it hasn't sold. Have an email out for correct contact #... but no reply.

So thanks for the imput but does looks like this add was possibly a scam to begin with.

At that price, 'too good to be true' seems applicable. Expect an increase in spam - sounds like an email addy collection ad. I maintain an email account which I use exclusively for responding to CL ads.