Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: same settings and similar equipment but different photo

I think that you need to define “heavily post processed”. It is obvious to me that Bryan’s pictures contain post processing. “Heavily” to me would imply that he went in Photoshop and manipulated the sky. I doubt this is the case in these pictures, what is more likely is he used DPP to convert the pictures from RAW and no doubt applied adjustments. I think if you want a lens by lens comparison you need to look at the ISO charts, not at samples that are used to demonstrate what a lens can do, obviously with Bryan’s skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    My advice concerning buying a pair of polarized sunglasses is honestly the best way to figure out when and where the best opportunities for maximum polarization can be found. If I'm wanting to use a polarizer, I'll go to a location on a bright, sunny day (cloudless days work best), and wearing my sunglasses I'll tilt my head in both directions. Then I'll repeat the process looking in different directions (at least those with acceptable background opportunities). The behavior may look strange to onlookers, but it's been invaluable when planning and executing one of these shoots.
    Now that would be an interesting set up shot.

Arnt

I'm off the subject a bit with this question, which is for Sean.

Sean, you obviously do a lot of strobe work outside. Do you ever use a gold umbrella, and shoot a Speedlite into it, for a warmer color on the subject? Or, with that Speedlite you show shooting through a translucent umbrella, do you ever cover it with a full or half CTO to warm the subject? Or, do you just warm the image up by increasing the color temp, in post? I would think the reflective umbrella would help maximize the light from the Speedlite, rather than through the white translucent.

What's your recommendation for the "warming?" I'm curious about how the best way would be for a Speedlite, not necessarily with a higher powered strobe. Thanks.

Generally speaking, I gel my strobe. Gelling is a better way to go because you can vary the color by using 1/4, 1/2, or full color gels. While I have silver reflective umbrellas (and use them occasionally), I prefer white umbrellas. I'm not a fan of the relatively cool, uneven light of a reflective umbrella when used as a mainlight. The light is harsher, I guess.
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 06-28-2012 at 03:18 AM.