Thread: 7d Firmware Upgrade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The reason I started this thread was to get an idea on how attractive the 7D new feature set, combined with it's existing feature set, would be if it were full frame and priced at 2k. Sort of the succussor to where the 5dII is now.

Thoughts?
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Let's see, a full-framer like the 7D with the new feature set sounds (surprisingly enough) like a 5D III, and that's been proven to be an attractive camera--even at $3500.

A budget entry full-framer would likely be stripped down in its feature set--it may not be weather sealed, shoot video, bracket exposures, or have any kind of state-of-the-art AF. You sacrafice things when you're on a budget--that's kind of the point.
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 06-29-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    The reason I started this thread was to get an idea on how attractive the 7D new feature set, combined with it's existing feature set, would be if it were full frame and priced at 2k. Sort of the succussor to where the 5dII is now.

Thoughts?
    So you think the successor of the 7D will be like the 5D II only improved with a few of the 7D's features. So instead of a it being called a 5D III they will call it a 7D II, since after all instead of naming the successor of the 1Ds III a 1Ds IV they named it a 5D III.

I can see the desire to have a lower priced FF camera with lower specs in the market place but I won't be expecting it from the popular 7D line. Pure speculation, but it would make more sense to me to put the 7D2 back at the top of the cropped bodies (it has a single digit model number after all) and introduce a new number for a new FF body. The 1Dx and 5D3 would be more FF pro oriented, new 7D2 would cover high end crop body market, and this leaves a hole in the lineup for an inexpensive (relative of course) FF camera with some improved features over the 5D2.

As always, we'll just have to sit back to wait and see what shiny new things the marketing department thinks they can make the most profits from.