Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Photo Finish..TV show

I normally watch (and keep) photography shows to get information on creativity (since that gene bypassed me). This is not one of those shows, it’s pure entertainment. This is in my opinion why there’s no technical training for the contestants.

After 3 episodes, I have not seen any images I would be happy with.

I also spotted all of the OOF images and the manual focus, this I was such a big mistake.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    This is not one of those shows, it’s pure entertainment.
    And sometimes that is what we need and it is enough.

I'm happy enough that something that I am passionate about is getting some airplay. I can certainly identify with some of the fumbling and bumbling that is going on.
    There are Facebook links there for anyone to leave comments for the shows producers, even though I think it is all in the can, as they say.
    Here is the link to the latest photo from the host of the show Andrew G.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewg...4/in/contacts/
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Certainly no technical insight here, but as an amateur photographer I think it's interesting how others see a scenario.
    Of the 3 submitted images think they made the right call again.. but really all those pictures could have been better. some nice images

I'm sure they had there gear more than 30 min prior to event, would be prudent to peak at the manual. That aside, think it would be only fair to give a crash course on the equipment they were given.

Quote Originally Posted by Kombi View Post
    That aside, think it would be only fair to give a crash course on the equipment they were given.
    Since when has anything on Reality TV been Fair?
    I think the point of the program is to have the contestants embarrass themselves.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

People flustering like a headless chook makes for better tv (apparently), we may never know if it's 5 minutes or 3 hours before the bride rocked up though. I'd like to think I wouldn't be as bad as any of them, seeing as i'm fairly technical, a gear-head, and an engineer, I should be able to get anything to work.

As for gear, as long as it's got an inbuilt light-meter, i'm fine.
    (But knowing my luck, the day I ever get on a show like that is the day they pull out the 8x10 Horsemanns...)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I think that may be a little harsh, I don't think the point of the program is to embarrass people.
    The point of most programs is to entertain people, other programs try to educate. If I don't find either of those qualities in a program I don't watch it.
    I think they advertised for people to go on and like most things you get a broad spectrum of people applying. The photography students are pretty swithced on and there have been some very keen amateur photographers. The person that won the landscape episode, usually uses a phone to take pictures, but she loves her photography as much as the next person.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Without a doubt, I think everyone on the show is as passionate about photography as any of us are or they wouldn't have applied to be on it. The show is very successful at doing what it set out to accomplish & that is entertain those that are also interested in photography. I think we can all relate to the days of having no clue about our equipment! Heck, I just had one of those moments yesterday ...LOL!

The one thing that I am walking away with after watching each episode is a reminder to myself to look more for the unique and less obvious shot. Something I really need to work on!

For those following, Episode 4 is plastic cameras; the Lens Baby and Fish Eye users might like this one.

I absolutely loved the photo the young girl took right when she snapped the shot of the older gentleman & at the end, I still thought it was a winning photo! Yeah, it would have been nice if there was a horse or two toward the right side of the photo but I still feel it was well captured!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    I absolutely loved the photo the young girl took right when she snapped the shot of the older gentleman & at the end, I still thought it was a winning photo! Yeah, it would have been nice if there was a horse or two toward the right side of the photo but I still feel it was well captured!
    I agree, I thought she had the best picture. I thought the guy who won had the best picture for the assignment though, but not the best picture overall.