Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 1D X, done it, anybody else??

A B&H CSR told me it will ship tomorrow, so I'll have it first thing on Wed. If anyone has an interest in specific 5DII and/or 7D vs. 1D X comparisons, let me know. I already plan to do a basic ISO series as I've done before (with ND filters to simulate raising ISO in low light, vs. short shutter speeds in bright light).

Yahooo!! Oh, wait let me think.... , Hell Yeah!!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    A B&H CSR told me it will ship tomorrow, so I'll have it first thing on Wed. If anyone has an interest in specific 5DII and/or 7D vs. 1D X comparisons, let me know. I already plan to do a basic ISO series as I've done before (with ND filters to simulate raising ISO in low light, vs. short shutter speeds in bright light).
    congrats, it looks like the wait is finally over.

First my speculation;

First my thoughts are based on the cameras being set up on a tripod, using manual focus taking landscape type pictures.

What I am expecting that you see with the 1D X vs the 5D II comparison is that the 5D II will out resolve the 1D X. From experience with the 1D IV it handles contrast much better than the 5D II. In real world situations the difference in IQ and resolution from the 1D IV to the 5D II is very slight with the edge going to the 5D II in a tripod, stationary, manual focus situation. I expect you will similar results from the 1D X. I expect that you see a certain "richness" with the 1D X and a slight increase in the dynamic range over the 5D II.

I think in a comparison of the 5D III and the 1D X the results might be similar to the 5D II vs the 1D X comparison. I think any superior performance the 1D X has over the 5D III will be because of two things. First the larger pixels will help with noise and ISO settings. Second and most important, Canon will put their best firmware in their flagship camera.

Taking all the comparisons in to account I have one question that I am trying to answer. Which would be the best still life landscape camera, the 5D III or the 1D X? Or would the IQ be about equal?

Have fun with your new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I am glad your wait is finally over. I am really looking forward to hearing what your impressions of it are.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Second the YAHOO!!

Like others I am interested in your general impressions and usual tests. In addition, I'd be interested in a high contrast shot where the shadows are pushed 3-4 stops to see if you get better DR/less noise that has been seen with the Canons. Basically, a pre-DXO report assessment of DR.

But, regardless of the outcome of that test, I expect the 1DX to be excellent and am pretty excited for you. Nothing like Christmas in July. Congratulations!

Hi,

Congratulations for your new piece of hardware!

As I don't own a 5DII but a 7D, I would be very interested to see how this new guy blows away the 7D (not taking much risk here )

I'm curious at comparison where the framing is kept to take into account the crop factor of the 7D (i.e. changing the focal length). As we'll have 18 MP from both, we should be able to appreciate how the DOF is reduced, how the noise is improved, etc...

Please, keep us posted!

Cheers,
    S.

Everyone is waiting for neuroanatomist's review. Anyone interested in Bryan's review? I want to see the results, too, but don't we all still have cameras that take excellent pictures? After all, it's a camera.

Bryan and neuro are the small folks. Has anyone else noticed you never see them together or post on the same topic. Now, where's that grassy knoll at....?
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterdown View Post
    Everyone is waiting for neuroanatomist's review. Anyone interested in Bryan's review? I want to see the results, too, but don't we all still have cameras that take excellent pictures? After all, it's a camera.
    To answer your questions;
    1, Yes we are interested in Bryan's review. But we all know Bryan will do a review and we thank him for that.
    2, Well I have cameras that take excellent pictures. Since I don't know what gear you have I can't speak for your cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke View Post
    Bryan and neuro are the small folks. Has anyone else noticed you never see them together or post on the same topic. Now, where's that grassy knoll at....?
    I think you can forget that conspiracy theory, one of their main subjects is their daughters. Since one has teen's and one has toddlers I think it is safe to say they are not the same person...if that is the conspiracy you were referring to.