Thread: Choosing my first 50mm lens

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Having owned both of the lenses you are talking about, I would go with the 50mm f1.4 if you are planing on shooting anything where light is not optimal. The f/2.5 is a great lens, but hunts like crazy if your shooting in minimal light and is very slow to focus. If you are shooting static subjects then sure the 2.5 is great, but if anything else, I would go with the f/1.4. The f/1.4 focuses pretty close to objects too. I used it on my jewelry photography. Here's a couple shots taken with the 50mm f/1.4

and with the 50mm CM (compact Macro)

The other thing that you could look at if your looking at something that focuses very closely and has good Auto Focus with a USM motor is the 60mm Macro. It is only for non-full frame cameras, but if your not planning on upgrading anytime soon, it would be great. It may be a constant f2.8 lens, but it doesn't have the hunting problem of the 50mm CM and focuses 1 to 1, where as the CM only focuses 1 to 2. So if you didn't need the low light of the f/1.4, that is a good option as well. I would say the choice would be between the 50mm f/1.4 and the 60mm macro.

Edit: Also, notice the out of focus highlights in the CM shots. The lens only has 6 aperture blades while the f/1.4 has more, so it will give you more pleasing boken also.
    Last edited by Jayson; 07-31-2012 at 04:07 PM.