Quote Originally Posted by FuNkEyMoNkEy View Post
...it is up to the customer whether or not they want a cheap photographer with a basic kit or a more expensive photographer with an expensive kit. I think the price will tell. Besides imo composition, direction and knowledge makes for a good photographer, experience will come with practice. I'm not going to get any where without trying my hand at it, and I could always do the first few free with an explanation of needing to learn the ropes.
Look at the websites of several wedding photographers - do they showcase their gear, or their images? I don't think most clients will really care what gear is used - they will care about results. To me, cheap prices don't necessarily mean cheap gear, I'd be more inclined to doubt the quality of the product.

The best way to try your hand is probably not to go it solo. Rather than offering to shoot weddings for free by yourself, I'd really recommend finding a wedding photographer who's work you like, and try to sign on with him/her as a second (or third) shooter. Request permisson to use some of the images you shoot to promote your business later on.

Quote Originally Posted by FuNkEyMoNkEy View Post
According to Scott Kelby, a cheap inexpensive fifty mill and a portrait lens would be enough of a basic kit for a wedding shoot
I like Scott Kelby's tips for Photoshop ('nuff said). FWIW, on APS-C, an inexpensive 50mm lens is a portrait lens. You need something wider for group shots, and probably something longer for ceremony shots.

For a good (and somewhat humorous) viewpoint, check out the FWIGTEW blog by Roger Cicala, who runs lensrentals.com.