Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adorama is nice, but I miss the logical searching/shopping of B&H

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    Helen,
    It is not that we cannot find things on the Adorama website. The filters that B&H have are nice like setting it to show only "L" series lenses for those of us with "L" disease
    It just makes it a little more user friendly
    clemmb, I think it is both filters and search. You can eventually find something, provided you know the exact item you want. Sometimes I have found that even knowing the exact item, you have to search several different way. Of course if the filters were set up better I might not be using the search function at all.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post

clemmb, I think it is both filters and search. You can eventually find something, provided you know the exact item you want. Sometimes I have found that even knowing the exact item, you have to search several different way. Of course if the filters were set up better I might not be using the search function at all.
    Well, ok, I had not visited the Adorama site in a while. I see it has been improved and I find it more user friendly now
    Thanks Adorama
    Mark

I try and support the site by making purchases though the site links.

Over the last few months I have made maybe $2000 worth of purchases though B&H.
    Small amount in the bucket, but when local shop prices are out of line, I find I may continue to shop at B&H over Adorama.

I don't find their site to bad, it's better than my local shop, but living in Canada it's the shipping options that would keep me from buying from Adorama, not there service or prices.

Wordy example below..

Not a large purchase but likely part of my next purchase will be Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Pancake Lens.

From Adorama
    $199.00 + $30.60 shipped via UPS
    For UPS I will need to be home for delivery- or will have to pick up at the UPS depot to pay Customs.
    Duty (estimated $3.98), GST ($9.95) and usually ridiculous UPS brokerage fees.

so sub total of $243.53 + whatever UPS decided to add on (probably another $25)

B&H $199.00 shipped Purolator Ground Shipping: $8.93

Prepaid Customs an Clearance
    Details of Duty Charges
    Duties:$3.98
    GST:$9.95
    Brokerage:$1.56
    Disbursement:$0.42
    Security & Handling:$9.83
    Total:$25.74

Know total prepaid delivered to my door (and I don't need to be home)= $233.67

So saving at least $10 from B&H on even a small purchase.
    (Locally lens would be $241.45 with tax)

FYI, Adorama uses a UPS shipping option that includes brokerage (see chart: http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html ), and there shouldn't be any duty on a lens (or a camera, though there is 2.5% duty on filters. See here: http://www.photoprice.ca/article/tax...ge-demystified for general info, or click here: http://www.photoprice.ca/product/039...STM-price.html and on the Amazon or Cross Border option's question mark for a price breakdown. Duty is $0 on both. )

But yeah, B&H does have a cheaper shipping option to Canada. I've also found it's faster to order from either Adorama, or B&H than to order from anywhere in Canada (even the same province) that insists on using Canada Post (such as Aden).

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
    The website is still going through continuous upgrades and improvements, and feedback from our customers is a fabulous way for us to double-check that the search parameters we have in place are working - or not!

If you are searching for an item and it is causing you trouble, please email me directly with:
    The browser you are using
    As far as possible the full description of the item

If you found it, but with difficulty:
    The browser you were using
    Your order confirmation number
    The SKU# of the item

I'm liaising directly with the web team to iron out these search issues, one by one, with the hope that once finished we have a website that 100% meets our customers' needs.

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    Helen@adorama.com

Hi, Helen! It is fantastic that you are reaching out like this to users, and you are seeking input. I will say, digging into the site, it is better for shopping/searching than most of your competitors, actually.
    One thing I like to see, which you don't currently have, is a filter for price range. On that subject, it is ideal if you can enter your own values rather than picking from a set of pre-defined ranges. This is especially helpful for items where there are a LOT of similar products, such as collapsible reflectors, or tripods.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    Helen,
    It is not that we cannot find things on the Adorama website. The filters that B&H have are nice like setting it to show only "L" series lenses for those of us with "L" disease
    This is EXACTLY the level of info I need from you to pass on to the web team! This, and the other suggestions in the thread have been forwarded on.
    Thank you all.
    Last edited by HelenOster; 08-13-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    ....B&H does have a cheaper shipping option to Canada.....
    We are currently working on offering the exact same option to Canada, but there have been difficulties in getting Purolator to integrate with our website.
    In the meantime, provided an order is $200 or less and not to bulky or heavy, we can offer USPS shipping - contact me for details or call your order in to one of our reps who can make the shipping adjustment manually.

Helen has helped me on numerous occasions after seeing something I wrote in a thread here! I don't think we ever had a rep from B&H chime in at TDP. IMO, great customer service and now our own rep to offer us discounts trumps a user-friendly website any day! Now with their website being a work in progress with improvements coming our way as they work it out ...Adorama is nothing but awesomeness!

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
    We are currently working on offering the exact same option to Canada, but there have been difficulties in getting Purolator to integrate with our website.
    In the meantime, provided an order is $200 or less and not to bulky or heavy, we can offer USPS shipping - contact me for details or call your order in to one of our reps who can make the shipping adjustment manually.
    That is good news, I have dealt with companies that viewed making a change for the Canadian market as not worth their effort, it's nice to know than an effort is being made at Adorama.
    I look forward to becoming one of your customers.

I think Adorama is great. I have made many purchases from them over the last 4 years. Customer service is prompt and professional. I had no problems with B&H either...they also do a fabulous job.

Just out of curiosity I sent an email to the contact listed here for discount prices through TDP. The quotes he gave me on the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM and the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L lenses were the same as on their website....in reality no special discount. I don't know if this applies to all items but I could not get any special price on either of these two items.

This does not discourage me from using Adorama but they may not be able to offer special pricing on all items.