Thread: Best Lens for Baby Pictures.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I would go with this, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-17-55mm-f-2.8-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

I like the 17-55mm for the use you describe, especially since many of your shots will be indoors.

That answers your first question.

Second, do you need a couple of lenses? If you just want pictures of your baby you don’t “need” a couple of lenses. But if you enjoy photography and want creative pictures you might “want” a couple of lenses. Later on you might want a telephoto take pictures at sports and events. You could very easily get by with a good telephoto zoom and the 17-55mm.

Third asked is L lenses worth the investment, probably not unless you are a professional photographer, it really isn't an investment unless you plan on having a monetary gain. Investment is a word we use to convince ourselves we are making a good purchase. Sure they have really good resale. But again if you enjoy photography it is worth buying L lenses for your own satisfaction. For a telephoto zoom I have to say yes it is worth buying an L lens over the Non L lenses available. For the 17-55mm it is good enough and you will get comparable IQ to an L lens.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 08-17-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Thank you for your detailed answer. You are certainly right in regards to "investment," I am probably being over zealous.

The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM looks great, and a few people have suggested the same lens.

Thank you again, your information is very appreciated.

Bruce