Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Lens for Baby Pictures.

As many have said, the 17-55 is a great choice. Can't go wrong with it, and it's useful in so many ways.

A big question is whether you expect to use a flash or not. I know you said you're looking into the 430exII, which I also own. But it's not always at the ready.

My experience is that f2.8 is often not wide enough for indoor shots without a flash unless you have a 5dIII or 1 series body that can really push the ISO. That's why I really like fast primes for indoor shots of kids (I have 2, aged 4 and 6). I think the 35L is the holy grail here. Alternatively, for far less money, the Sigma 30 f1.4 has served me pretty well. If money is not a limiting factor, go for the 35L.

FWIW, I found the 50mm focal length on a crop sensor like your t4i to be too long for many indoor uses.

Good luck!

I found this new website selling Baby Lenses!

http://lensbaby.com/lenses

Rich

I would not worry about water sealing. It would not help much to have an L lens if the camera body is not weather sealed too, and the Rebel is not. But they won't break just because of a few rain drops or some spray from the breaking waves (at least mine didn't).
    On a Rebel, I think you will get much more out of the 17-55 than out of the 24-70. 24mm is not really wide for a general purpose lens on a crop camera, and the 17-55 is optically at least as good if not better. There is a reason why Brian (the TDP Brian) recommends it for crop cameras (see here http://www.the-digital-picture.com/C...pose-Lens.aspx):
    The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens and Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens were introduced after both of the aforementioned L lenses and I now highly recommend them to APS-C/1.6x body users.
    Adding a 70-200 is a great idea IMHO, but I would not buy it before the general purpose lens.

Arnt

Thank you again for your help. I'm searching the web and reading other threads similar to my post. Other lens that have been suggested are:
    -Canon EF 85 MM F / 1.2 L II USM
    -Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM

Any feedback on the above lens?

I think the 35L is the holy grail here.

Thank you for your response. Can you shoot with the 35L outdoors as well as indoors? This lens seems very nice?

Regarding the body not being water proof, thats a great point. For ow, its seems like I need to decide between the 17-55 and the 35L, and in the future work my way into and save up for the 70-200.

Thank you again.

I guess you DO have a "kit" lens that came with it, right? Was it the 18-55? If you already have that kit lens you might consider getting the 35mm prime for dark work and all, though it would be wide for portraits.
    If you DON'T already have a kit lens, then I doubt you want you only lens to be a 35mm prime. Primes are awesome, and sharp, and great in low light, and all that, but you will want to zoom in and out sometimes.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

I do have a kit lens, its the 18-55. I'm a layman, and what does too wide for portraits mean? I have a class next Monday to hep me understand, but right now, i'm pretty ignorant.

Remember they're talking about weather-sealed not water-proof.

I think the 17-55 is a great general purpose walk around lens for a crop body, but I think the the f/2.8 aperture will be a little too slow for indoor use without a flash, so what will end up happening is that you will have to shoot at higher ISO's so your shots will have a lot of noise in them. If you ever upgrade to a full frame camera then the EF-S 17-55mm will not be compatible. The 24-70mm f/2.8L is a great lens and is FF compatible but the 24mm may not be wide enough if you decide you would like to get into landscape shots. The 24-70mm is also pretty large and heavy.

I think the the 35L f/1.4 would be the perfect focal length on a crop body for baby and family shots whether you're indoors or outdoors and the f/1.4 will really cut down on the image noise indoors.

When you're ready to expand your lens collection, then I really like the 85mm f/1.8, for baby portraits indoors or outdoors, but it's a little long for indoor family group shots. The 35L would be better for that.

The next lens upgrade for outdoor use would be one of the 70-200mm lenses.

The 85mm f/1.2L is great, heavy and expensive but very slow focusing, so I think you will miss some quick spontaneous shots with it. The 85mm is also long for indoor family group shots.

Rich
    Last edited by Richard Lane; 08-18-2012 at 02:27 AM.

Thank you for your response Richard.

Quick questions; if you were on a desert island, and you were only able to take one lens with you, what lens would you take?