Thread: Another travel tripod question

Another travel tripod question

Manfrotto 190CXPRO 3 section vs 4 section

All stats pretty much the same except 4 section is 2 inches shorter when folded.
    but will those skinny 4th legs be an issue?

Depends how much weight you want to put on it....
    For the same camera/weight, 3-sections will always be more stable than 4-sections (of the same type/brand, at least). It will just depend on how much stability you want to sacrifice for a shorter packing-length (which will probably depend on how close it is to airline baggage-limits).
    Personally, I got a 3-section tripod, when I go on a plane it goes under the hold in my rucksack (right next to the metal bars down the spine of the bag, won't have a problem with it bending). It also means I don't have to explain those pointy spikes on the feet of the tripod to those guys at the security gates...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I have the 190CXPRO4, and I picked the 4-section version primarily for the shorter collapsed length. I have the Manfrotto 468MG head with a Wimberley C-12 clamp, and the setup stably supports a gripped body and large white zoom (28-300, 100-400, 70-200 II), obviously assuming the center column is not extended. If I remove the head, the legs fit in my Storm im2500 carryon hard case - the 3-section legs would not.