Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Lens for Baby Pictures.

If you're going to take landscape and portraiture, you would be better off with the 5DII. There is no advantage of the 5DIII over the 5DII for IQ. The 5DIII has a better AF system, but if you're just doing the aforementioned picture taking, save yourself about half on the cost.

I think that if you're really serious about getting into photography, then you'll quickly outgrow the Rebel!
    Last edited by Richard Lane; 08-21-2012 at 02:11 AM.

Thank you Steve, I uploaded a few examples to the following Flickr link. This is an example of what the t4i was able to shoot with a newborn (me) behind the camera. The pic of the water drop is me playing with the shutter speed. What do you think?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85426880@N03/

Thats my conundrum Richard. When you got into photography, what was your first camera? And how long before you grew out of it?

It was so long ago, I cant even remember! I think it was a Kodak 110 in the 70's.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...D137E&first=36

My first serious camera was a Pentax ME Super SLR 35mm in the 80's and I still have it. Now, I have two 7D's (which I've been meaning to sell, but I haven't gotten around to it yet), a MKIV and the new 1DX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_ME_Super

My father was into photography when I was growing up and he took a ton of pictures, and we had a dark-room in our house.

Let me say that your pics look great and you have a lot of potential there. You're wife looks beautiful too and congratulations on the new arrival!

The Rebel shots look pretty good, but see how they start to break down at night, namely the noise in the night sky and in the shot of the flame.
    Last edited by Richard Lane; 08-21-2012 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magijr View Post
    Thank you Steve, I uploaded a few examples to the following Flickr link. This is an example of what the t4i was able to shoot with a newborn (me) behind the camera. The pic of the water drop is me playing with the shutter speed. What do you think?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85426880@N03/
    Nice cross section of shots and by viewing the exif data, you can see there are plenty of factors that you will learn to adjust and improve. Like ISO, filters, support/tripods and shutter speed and so on.

I had my first camera for asbout 12 months before I thought about upgrading, but I still have it as there are times when the crop factor does copme in handy. I shoot events and car shows a bit and the vari-angle screen with your t4i is a great feature for getting down low.

Rich is right you will outgrow a t4i, if you stick at it, go to lessons, upgrade your image processing software and are dedicated to making the time to take photos on a very regular basis. And that depends on how busy you are. I am lucky to find half a day a week to seriously take photos, some people don't even have that much time.

Your t4i will be a more than adequate tool to learn with and you will notice the difference with a 17-55mm lens. Then think about a flash and a tripod, some filters and then a 100-400mm zoom and then a full frame and then a ................

You may never stop, or you may stop before that, who knows, click away and enjoy.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Do you think that 5dII would stop the pic from breaking down?

Thank you by the way, we are super excited and as you can tell from my million questions that i'm a little nervous with the little one on the way. I mean, my subject was my dog (which is has been for years) then I would not even be asking these questions.

I want to have the right camera, the right lens and get the right education to take the best photo I can.

It's amazing how far technology has come in the past 30 years... I never new cameras and lenses were so technological.

What would I grow out of using the t4i?
    Last edited by Magijr; 08-21-2012 at 02:56 AM.

Thank you Steve, I see you are very passionate and educated and I can appreciate that. In your recent post alone I'm going to research a half dozen items... ie image processing software, vari-angle screen, filters, ISO...

What photoshop software would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Magijr View Post
    Do you think that 5dII would stop the pic from breaking down?
    It will definitely help, but I want to reiterate that a FF camera will also struggle in the dark, but just not as much.

I know you're not ready to make a decision yet, so just continue to take your time researching it!

We'll all help you the best we can!

Have a good night, I'll catch you tomorrow!

LOL, I certainly am passionate, too much so my wife tells me. Educated, mmm I bumble along and the more I learn, the more I realise I have still to learn. There are a lot of guys that contribute here with a lot more technical expertise than me and there is a lot of excellent advice that you should consider.

This forum is a supportive, positive environment to learn in, there are people into birds, pets, portraits, landscape, astro photography, you name it and it can be found here. As well as technical and software advice.

Adobe Photoshop is considered the best image processing software, but there is also Lightroom and Elements to get you in at the ground level. Plus the Canon software does the job as well as anything else.

It's all part of the process.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur