Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Or, the 5D III, no 100-400mm right now and lensrental.com for the air show coming up.

I'm burning up the calculator over here!

Gotta be a way to fit it all in!

Quote Originally Posted by nvitalephotography View Post
    maybe Im doing my math wrong or missing something here, but, assuming you bought all this new from say adorama

7d-$1400
    15-85mm-$700
    5dii-$2000

TOTAL=$4100

5diii-$3400

That is less and leaves you with the 24-105 and the 100-400 and a 5diii
    Bought the 5DMkiII as a kit so the 24-105 goes with it. The way I have it figured the 7D rig (7D, 15-85, 50, 100-400) is around $4063 and the 5DMkII (5DMkII, 24-105, 50, 100-400) rig is around $4549 give or take. The 5DMkIII kit is around $4099. So no problem without the 100-400, but I ain't done siferin' yet

UPDATE: Well after burning up the calculator and giving time for reality to set back in I finally made a decision - no 5DMkIII. I tend to get ahead of myself and go overboard sometimes. I know, unbelievable right? Well it's true, I have to admit it. For now I'm going to keep the 7D, the EFS 15-85mm and the EF 100-400mm. Outstanding camera and lens that will cover my primary interests quite well while I gain experience and figure out what I want from the hobby. Oh yeah, my credit card is breathing a big sign of relief!

UPDATE # 2, FINAL: Just remembered that I never closed out this thread with my final (for real) desicion. In the end the 7D just didn't do it for me and I ended up going with the 5D Mark II with the EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM lens. This combination is just magic in my opinion and will serve me well way into the future. Rounding out my kit is the EF 35mm f/1.4 and the EF 100-400mm f/4.5. Was an interesting journey to say the least, even jumped over and tried out a couple of Nikons along the way, but in the end the 5D2 is the only one that always brought a smile to my face.

Good choice David and welcome!

Welcome to the forum. Like I said, really nice aviation shots.

Larry

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Welcome aboard DavidF! I agree with above posts that you are the fastest tracker in digital photography. Glad you got your gear settled cuz gear lust can drive anyone cRazY!!!! trust me, we have all been there and probably always will be. looks like you know how to work the camera already, so keep the posts coming. this site is a good place for critiques without feeling like being put to shame. shoot for yourself and shoot often. then shoot some more.

you mentioned that you like landscapes so consider the 17-40 f/4 L. It's light and probably the cheapest great piece of L-glass Canon has to offer. adios for now, erno james

Had a chance to try a 17-40mm L a while back and decided immediately to put it on my wish list. Would love to have one by spring!

Yes, I do tend to jump in with both feet Erno!

Quote Originally Posted by erno james View Post
    Welcome aboard DavidF! I agree with above posts that you are the fastest tracker in digital photography. Glad you got your gear settled cuz gear lust can drive anyone cRazY!!!! trust me, we have all been there and probably always will be. looks like you know how to work the camera already, so keep the posts coming. this site is a good place for critiques without feeling like being put to shame. shoot for yourself and shoot often. then shoot some more.

you mentioned that you like landscapes so consider the 17-40 f/4 L. It's light and probably the cheapest great piece of L-glass Canon has to offer. adios for now, erno james