Page 34 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best Landscape...

Can't believe it's been over a month since I posted. I love your recent shots, Pat, super colours and compositions.

Last weekend offered a rare good weather forecast, so I headed for the mountains. It didn't stay completely dry all day but that was a good thing because I was able to grab this shot of a rainbow.

Rainbow by Andrew Stringer, on Flickr

The scale of the Cairngorm mountains doesn't really come across here. Some of these peaks are over 4000 feet (1200m) high.

Loch Avon by Andrew Stringer, on Flickr

These granite outcrops are known as the Barns of Bynack.

Barns of Bynack by Andrew Stringer, on Flickr
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 08-25-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Well done,

you probly already seen the dust dot..... but just in case. repeats across the 3/4 the way up from the bottom.

My daughter and I are starting scope out locations for next years photo journey - YS is on the list. but certainly in early June vs. late summer - we don't want to be chased by fires and higher water levels will make all the streams, etc more interesting.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    This is my first attempt at a Pano with my 500mm.
    This is Yellowstone Lake, a rain had just past and the light broke through the clouds and lit the far shore up.

Yellowstone Lake (1 of 1) by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Couldn't get a good sunrise this morning because of the clouds, but we found a little water fall trickling into Lake Superior to get some shots that weren't to bad.
    Back in 1977, I did a summer trip through the U.P. to do the water falls with my canon F-1 (I told you I was old and crusty). Just outside of Munising is Wagner Falls - not very big but my very best artsy shots were there.

Last year my wife and I went to Harbor Springs - too early for the shore line drive (highway 119?), but a little further away from the lake the colors had changed and you know how impressive they can be. Unfortunately a new project is going to prevent me from getting back there this year. There is also a beautiful set up at the Hidden Creek Golf & Casting club (that is inland from Harbor Springs) with the river (I don't recall its name) that runs just behind the club house. Birch, Pines and hardwood with a couple of open marsh areas that allow you to get some decent perspective. When the color changes.... you get the picture -pun intended

Happy pics

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Well done,

you probly already seen the dust dot..... but just in case. repeats across the 3/4 the way up from the bottom.

My daughter and I are starting scope out locations for next years photo journey - YS is on the list. but certainly in early June vs. late summer - we don't want to be chased by fires and higher water levels will make all the streams, etc more interesting.

Mike
    No I didn't notice the dust. Thanks. I had actually just cleaned the sensor before I left out that day so I didn't even to think about it. I went back and looked at the other pictures that day, and the dust is only noticeable in this series. Maybe it is because this series is shot at f/10 and it brought the dust in to focus, where the other pictures of the day were closer to f/4.

Welcome back, Andy! Talk about a grand (re)entrance ...that rainbow shot is spectacular!! Beautifully captured!!

Impressive landscapes Andy.
    Beautiful light Pat.
    I like your "new" landscape lens Rick, don't have to worry about converging lines. Have you thought about architectual work with the 500?
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    I like your "new" landscape lens Rick, don't have to worry about converging lines. Have you thought about architectual work with the 500?
    Actually the answer is yes to that Steve. I have used it for that purpose at work.

I'm still playing catch-up here on posts from the last couple of weeks, and Pat's series of shots at the Marquette Lighthouse have totally blown me away. I love the long-exposure in #2, but the composition in #4 is brilliant. It breaks the rule of thirds completely, but does so to a very dramatic effect. Congrats on the whole set!

Jonathan:

Thank you so much, but the area is so easy to get a good shot and the light that morning was great. All had to do is point and shot (with the addition of a couple of filters).

I love the U.P.. I went to school up there, but could not afford to enjoy it at the time. So I am trying to make up for that.

Pat
    Last edited by conropl; 08-27-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

I'm having a play at panoramas now to at 6 images merged at 35mm instead of Rick's standard 500mm.
    [img]
    Victoria Point Panorama_2 by Steve's Life, on Flickr[/img]

Thanks for viewing.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur