Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade form 7D to 1DIV

yep. caveat emptor.
    There is beauty in simplicity.

1DX | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 50/1.2L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 100-400L II | 300/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT-24EX | lots of stuff

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    @conropl, DanoPhoto specifically mentioned sports and wildlife. I think you would still want the speed of the 1D IV over the new 5D III for that type of shooting.

As far as noise the 1D IV cleans up nicely in Light Room, I find the 5D II IQ and 1D IV to not be far off from each other. I favor the 1D IV as a walk around because of the superior AF.

For an all around camera I would probably go with the 5D III over the 1D IV if its AF is as good as they say.

For sports and wildlife I would still hang with the 1D IV, the AF system on the 1D IV is so good I haven't even thought it really needed an upgrade. You still need the 10fps for sports and for wildlife the 1.3 crop helps.

Thank you for the comparison. That kind sums up the dilemma in my thought pattern. That is, I like landscape photography, but I also like to shoot wildlife. I think the 5D III would be a better choice for landscape, but the 1D IV would be a big upgrade and very usable as well. I am also torn between wanting my wides to go wider and the tel's going longer... so I guess the 1d IV is a good compromise in the middle between the 7D and the 5D.

At this point, I guess it doesn't matter since I cannot buy a camera for a couple of years, and a lot can happen in a couple of years... so sorry for rambling on here.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoPhoto View Post
    Thanks Rick & Pat.

I only entered into FF in the past several months and am still gettign to know my 5D2 and what it can do. The 5D3 would be the best single camera solution for the price, but was looking more specifically at expanding my capabilities in just the sports and birding arenas.

The 1DIV really has my interest but the lack of warranty is a small concern. do either of you have any experience with the Canon refurb store and its limited warranty?

Dan.
    I have never gotten anything from Canon refurb, but I have never heard anything bad either. Most have been very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    I have considered the same upgrade recently. The real question for me was if I can afford $5k for a 1DIV couldn't I afford $7k for the 1DX---I hadn't really shopped around yet, but after ready this post and seeing that the cost on the 1DIV has dropped significantly I may rethink the options----The 1DIV is still a heck of a camera for wildlife and sports.

Thanks Dano, for posing the question and causing me to re-evaluate

Bob
    Dano - I agree with Bob... your post got me thinking about what I would like to do as well. So sorry for stepping on your thread, but you got a discussion going that I have been thinking about and I could not help myself.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

All good, Pat. That is what this forum is for. I will twist myself over this for a few weeks and hopefully make a rational decision in the end.

Dan.

1DX | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 50/1.2L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 100-400L II | 300/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT-24EX | lots of stuff

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post

Thank you for the comparison. That kind sums up the dilemma in my thought pattern. That is, I like landscape photography, but I also like to shoot wildlife. I think the 5D III would be a better choice for landscape, but the 1D IV would be a big upgrade and very usable as well. I am also torn between wanting my wides to go wider and the tel's going longer... so I guess the 1d IV is a good compromise in the middle between the 7D and the 5D.

I think I would pick which is more important to me, landscape or wildlife and pick accordingly if I could only have one.

I think the 5D III would make a better wildlife camera than a 1D IV would be a landscape camera.

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    couldn't I afford $7k for the 1DX---

Bob
    Sale of your first born fell through?
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    Sale of your first born fell through?
    Yep, Now my next option is panhandleing
    Bob

Canon Inc is lovin' it .... they know we all need/want at least 2 camera bodies so we can take advantages of certain features for landscape/portraits vs sports/wildlife.

If they wanted to, I would think they could offer a 45 mp full frame sensor with in camera 1.3 or 1.6 crop mode and the greatest AF, fast frame rate performance features as well as dual cards, wireless transmitter, GPS, in camera HDR etc etc....you know, a universal, one size fits all, professional image capturing machine.

But then they couldn't sell everyone multiple bodies and external widgets

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Canon Inc is lovin' it .... they know we all need/want at least 2 camera bodies so we can take advantages of certain features for landscape/portraits vs sports/wildlife.

If they wanted to, I would think they could offer a 45 mp full frame sensor with in camera 1.3 or 1.6 crop mode and the greatest AF, fast frame rate performance features as well as dual cards, wireless transmitter, GPS, in camera HDR etc etc....you know, a universal, one size fits all, professional image capturing machine.

But then they couldn't sell everyone multiple bodies and external widgets
    Have been looking at Canons sensor manufacturing process. The sensors are made in a fully automated plants which reduces the cost of their sensors. While they may have techniques that can make ultra low noise, higher dynamic range and higher megapixles sensors, they may not be able to make them fully automated... yet.

For the conspiracy theory people, I can't see Canon not wanting to beat Nikon in all areas, not just glass.

If they wanted to do limited run camera's would they be able to make them cheap enough for plebs like me? I don't think so.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Got a call from a local family owned store here in PA (yes, they still exist) about a body they just took in on trade form a long time customer that ws in MINT condition (<3,200 actuations). The price was right ($3,350), so I jumped on the offer. They even gave me a fair trade-in on my 7D+grip. Quick upgrade for about $2,500.

Thank goodness for the small mom/pop shops that still exist.

Thanks again for the input.

Dan.

Congratz Dan,

What do you think? Did we point you in the right direction?