Thread: Upgrading from basic XS kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Upgrading from basic XS kit

moldovamark,

I can quickly suggest the 40D - I got mine off a demo for $1000 CAN with the 17-85and haven't looked back.

Main advantages of the 40D, or most xxD bodies (vs. XS)

Body/Physical
    • Stronger build (magnesium alloy vs. plastic)
    • Top LCD (vs. rear LCD for info)
    • Bigger body (I tend to like it - feels more secure in my hand)
    • Higher viewfinder magnification (.95x vs. .81x - A noticeable difference)
    • Bigger LCD (3")

These are some of the things you'll notice when you try the camera out for the first time. For more specs, check out Bryan's review of the 40D:

http://the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-40D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

Like Dallasphotog mentioned, a used 1D Mark II would be the camera of choice for your use. It is built like a tank, and has AF that is much more effective than any other consumer camera Canon makes.

But... My take: the 40D - I love it - It's a very high quality piece of equipment. I'd suggest taking a serious look at it []. The XS-40D upgrade is a very nice one - You'll find features that weren't there before. You're going to be able to take pictures in conditions that otherwise wouldn't have been possible with the XS.

Good luck in your research!

- Alex

Thanks everybody. For the moment, weighing the choic between nice new camera body and nice new glass (I was finding the 17-85 a little slow for what I was using it for) I decided to opt for the nice new glass. But I think a 40D is in my relatively near future.

From in image quality standpoint, that's probably a good choice. The second L lens I bought was a 70-200 f/2.8 IS. Even on my XT, which was so small it almost seemed just like a handle to stick on the back of the lens, the autofocus was so NICE. And, if I kept the ISO at 400 or under, i got images that seemed way too good to come out of that body.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin

if I kept the ISO at 400 or under, i got images that seemed way too good to come out of that body.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Colin was right. I had my 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L, 85/1.8 and 70-200/4L IS before I got my 50D. I use all my L lenses on my old XTi and I have nothing to blame. The camera seems to be secondary comparing to good optics. Plus, good optics will last much, much longer than a digital body and will depreciate much, much slower than the electronics.

I can imagine the XS to be slow as I was once a XTi user for quite some time. As said, the 40D looks like a good choice for you, you will find the autofocus on the 40D/50D at a different level comparing to the XSi/T1i. A 1D II will also be nice, only if you can find a lightly used/well maintained one for reasonable price. I personally will pass on any 1D II body if they show a sign of professional use/abuse.