Page 38 of 63 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best Landscape...

A couple from an August trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan:

Miners Falls-8995 by westmichigan, on Flickr

Miners Falls-9006 by westmichigan, on Flickr
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Ben, that is a really nice capture. For my $.02, I like parts of both. I like the hotter and almost yellow region around the sun in the first and the fact that you were able to bring out some shadow detail in the foreground rocks. I like the blue sky better in the second one. It looks more natural. I guess I am not a fan of the tendency to boost the saturation of skies. That being said, this is art and its personal preference.

Larry

Great shots in this thread. Have been busy for a while and it's nice to see all the great shots made in the meantime.

A few shots from a little more than a week ago. I tried out the new blurring-tools from CS6 for the first one.

Out here it is "larch season", where the larch trees turn golden before losing their needles (I believe they are the only conifers to do this). Larches can typically be found above 2000 metres elevation in the mountains, and one of the best places to view them is at the Sunshine ski area near Banff. A shuttle bus takes you up there, and you can then wander the myriad of trails. It's hard to believe that ski season begins in about 6 weeks!

Name:  IMG_2022-2.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  138.1 KB

Great shots on this page, Pat, Jan and Jonathan.
    I would love to visit Banff. You should get a job with the Tourism department Jonathan.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Jan, how do you like the blurring tools?
    I like the shot, but the blur looks a bit unreal somehow.
    Arnt

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    Jan, how do you like the blurring tools?
    I like the shot, but the blur looks a bit unreal somehow.
    Yeah, the blur doesn't stand up under scrutiny. If it blurred to the level that's on the nearby trees that quickly, the furthest trees would be far more blurred than they are.

Jan, it's great that you're finding time to take and share your pictures again. I like the simple silhouette of the tree best. The blurred effect is interesting, too. I agree with others that it's not too realistic, but it still appeals to me. I might have cropped it with the log closer to the bottom edge of the frame, as I think the foreground is a little too dominant.

Jonathan, you're blessed with some fantastic scenery and the talent and dedication to do justice to it. I always enjoy looking at your images here and on your site.

Pat, good job on the waterfalls with the motion blur emphasised by the pin-sharp surroundings.

This shot doesn't compete technically, as it was taken in low light, handheld at 1/20s with a G12 point-and-shoot, but it was a change of scenery for me as I was away from home on a course in Windsor. You can just make out the statue of King George III on horseback on the horizon, 2½ miles away.

"The Long Walk" in Windsor Great Park by Andrew Stringer, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoff View Post
    Ben, that is a really nice capture. For my $.02, I like parts of both. I like the hotter and almost yellow region around the sun in the first and the fact that you were able to bring out some shadow detail in the foreground rocks. I like the blue sky better in the second one. It looks more natural. I guess I am not a fan of the tendency to boost the saturation of skies. That being said, this is art and its personal preference.

Larry
    Thanks Larry, in all honesty I agree 100%. I also prefer the tones in the blue sky in the original - definitely looks more natural. Just couldn't replicate it the second time around so I pretty much gave up... slack I know!

Don't be afraid to give constructive criticism around here mate, that's exactly what I was after!

Cheers.

Ben.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Sometimes it's as though I'm not even there. Do i make a difference? Nahhh.
    Sunset at Wellington Point this arvo.
    [img]
    Wello Point sunset by Steve's Life, on Flickr[/img]

Thanks for viewing.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur