Thread: Canon 24-105mm OR Canon 17-55mm: for my first DSLR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    There is, of course, the excellent EFS 15-85 to consider here for a general walk around lens for cropped sensor cameras .

I never chimmed in on the lens selection. For general purpose lens on a crop sensor camera great options are the 17-55 f/2.8, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-VC, and the EFS 15-85. I own and highly recommend the 15-85 for general purpose photography. But, I can absolutely see buying one of the f/2.8 lenses for the lower light capabilities and better DOF. My general rule of thumb would be, for most users, if you are taking photos of kids/families, especially around the house, the 17-55 f/2.8 is probably the best option. If you want the focal length range, are shooting outdoors a lot, then I would recommend the 15-85 and use the cost savings to pick up a flash.

The OP brought up the 24-105 as a general walk around lens on a cropped sensor. I've seen some great photos from this combination from several forum members, but, similar to PatrickH, they seem to be combining it with a UWA lens such as the EFS 10-22 or Sigma 10-20 or 8-16. So, great option if you buy it in combination. For me, I like the ability to shoot the 15-24 mm range without change out the lens.

Just remember, these are all great options. Pick what serves your purpose the best.

Question

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your suggestions to help me make the choice. I have decided to buy the 7D (may be refurbished if I find a good deal).
    However, reading all the suggestions about the lenses, my list of probable starter lenses for the 7D has now grown (previously I was just looking at 17-55mm and 24-105) as each one of these is very good in its own regard. I got a lot of useful information from all you guys but at the same time I got into more dilemma. Please help me decide to pick the best option out of these for a walk-around kit. I know all of these lenses are excellent in their zone. So, if you had to pick your first general-purpose lens, which one of these (or combination of two) will you choose? I think that will really help a lot making the decision.

1) EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    2) EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
    3) EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    4) EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    5) EF 50mm f/1.4 USM

Thanks so much!
    KJawa