Thread: The Choice of the New Version II of Canon Super-Tele-Lenses EF500mm f/4L vs EF600mm?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BIF with a 600mm II? Thats going to be a handfull. The 500mm II is going to be much easier to use for this situation.

For general bird photography and wildlife the 600mm II or even the 800mm would be better choices, you do not want to get very close to wildlife for obvious reasons! Do you want to upgrade to FF or stick with you 7D? These lenses are not all that different in price so I would get the longer lenses so I could get a 5D III or 1DX and still have a decent upgrade in focal length to what you have now.

Just for the record, I use the Minolta MD (manual focus) 600mm f/6.3 on a 60D and I do not feel it is to much focal length, many many times I wish I had more! I could get away with a shorter lens at times but I have to put more effort into it and sometimes there is no way around needing a longer lens. Also the longer lenses are going to have cleaner backgrounds than the 500mm, also take that into acount.

Just my two cents,
    John.
    Last edited by FastGass; 10-20-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!