Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homeowners Policy | Photography Equipment Rider

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson View Post
    Good advice, but I was just trying to set a benchmark based on other people's experiences. From the few responses I've received (and personal experience as well) it it quite clear to me that my insurer is the exception and not the rule. That's fine. That's there prerogative. I just wanted to make sure that my expectations weren't out of line.
    Well it probably isn’t the exception, because everyone I have had seems to do it differently.

Agents are good to have and can be helpful, but when it comes to a claim it is what the policy said not what the agent told you. To get my rider on my current policy I spent a few days sending emails back and forth to mine asking for clarifications on how the policy read in regard to the adder for the camera equipment.

But; in regard to your present company, and my experience with them I was not satisfied. If you are questioning their practices now, how will they handle your claim if all your camera gear gets stolen?

I inherited them when I got married. My wife had used them for years because she works in education and they apparently have some sort of an affiliation. Years ago my wife was hit by a police car and due to whatever loophole they work under our insurance company had to pay for the repairs. They were very good to us then and I'd say that we have been generally happy up until now.

Here's the caveat. Yesterday I "spoke" with someone via their website chat option. Today I received a call from an actual agent who apologized for being given misinformation. She told me to send her a list of items with their replacement value (similar to many other's experience) and I am now happy :-)

I also have State Farm and did as John did with the spreadsheet; But, I have added several new items and they have never asked for a receipt.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    I also have State Farm and did as John did with the spreadsheet; But, I have added several new items and they have never asked for a receipt.
    To clarify, I was asked sometimes and not other times (SF has no agents in MA, just service offices). The most recent addition, I was asked. Might be because it was a $13K lens...

Not that I've got as much equipment as most of you, but here in the UK we don't have to provide specifics. Or at least I don't with Halifax. Just the total value of the equipment.