Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Need Man Help... quick!

Hey John,

No longer getting the 40mm pancake and probably not the 24mm, it will likely be the Canon 35mm f/1.4L. Reason being, the 35mm f/1.4L will be a better walkaround 'prime' (I know that sounds ludacris as a walkaround lens would generally be a zoom) than the 24mm and I've already got the wide end covered with the 14mm.

There are three reasons I'm changing my setup.

1. Primes get shots zooms can't in most instances as you mentioned. I've found that primes force me to think about composition more and the result is more interesting shots.

2. Yep, autofocus. I understand where you're coming from with lost time in changing lenses. But if the alternative is to take a shot that I don't particularly like because I'm using a zoom lens that trades the super wide apertures and narrow DOF that I love for a focal length range then I'm not interested. I'm not into taking a million 'OK' photos of something. I want one or two amazing shots that serve as a reminder of an event/scene/situation. So yeah, I agree that it's going to be a little more cumbersome at times and there will be moments where I'll have the wrong lens on for the job but I'm ok with that and I'll learn different ways to deal with it.

3. The 5D3 pretty much addresses everything that frustrates me about the 5D2... and I like shiny new toys.

There may be a 50mm in there somewhere if I need it but I've never really liked the 50mm focal length on full frame for some reason. Will see how things pan out.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I see your point, partly where I am coming from is all the vacations/road trips I have taken very few were taken with thin DOF. They are mostly not close ups but more overview shots of things were DOF is welcomed, but then I really didn't have much time to "Take my time." if you get what I mean. But everyone is different and if you do have the time that's great!

I would actually recomend the 35mm L as a good walkaround prime lens, reason being I use my 24mm f/2.8 all the time on my 60D and it's next favorite partner in crime is the 35mm f/2.0. It is just a very good (Get a picture of this!) lens.

One other thing is if you keep your 5D II you could spend more on the prime lenses. But it's your call.

Cheers on your new toys, don't mind the misses to much though...
    John.
    Last edited by FastGass; 10-24-2012 at 05:53 AM.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by FastGass View Post
    One other thing is if you keep your 5D II you could spend more on the prime lenses. But it's your call.
    I would, but I bought the 5D III last night so that's out the window.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

5D3 turned up yesterday, had a bit of a play with it yesterday and I'm extremely impressed. I'm very happy with the upgrade. I can't see a huge change in IQ, high ISO noise appears to be handled a little better, but the functionality of the whole unit is a step up on the 5D2. Really nice bit of gear.

I knew you should have kept your 5D II! (Jokingly)

Do you feel it was a worthwhile upgrade? The first part of the post seemed very positive but the other half seemed not so much.

Cheers,
    John.
    Last edited by FastGass; 11-02-2012 at 04:20 AM.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

Absolutely John. I'm very impressed.

This was a great read, thanks Ben and others!
    Ben have fun with your new 5D. I assume the 14mm Samyang proves to be a keeper? Bad news for me...then I would have to make a same sort of list myself. Going all primes still intrigues me, but the cost still kept me back

Yes the Samyang is so fantastic. I really enjoy using it. I cannot believe how sharp that little lens is wide open, stopped down to f/8 to f/10 it's rediculous.

For me, the transition won't cost too much. My kit will be down to the 14mm, 35mm, 85mm and the 70-200. There's a good chance I'll pick up the 24mm f/1.4L at some stage but I'm going to run with that kit for the moment. I managed to sell both the 24-70mm and 17-40mm for a good price locally which has helped. Really looking forward to picking up the 35mm f/1.4L, I need to sell the 5D2 first though.

If you still have your 5D II it's still not to late to return you 5D III and put the difference to a 24mm f/1.4 or 50mm f/1.2. That 24mm just doens't seem to let go doesn't it If you can live without AF Samyang has a 24mm f/1.4 for less than half the price.

Mabye I haven't used AF in a while but is it that big a deal with sub-50mm lenses and not shooting action?

Cheers,
    John.

You'd have to pry that 5D3 out of my cold, dead hands my friend

I'm too lazy to use manual focus all the time, I'm happy doing it with the 14mm because as soon as you stop down to f/8 and narrower it's got an enormous DOF. Even at 24mm and 35mm I will appreciate autofocus, it'll be used for travel/street pics mostly so I just want to be able to point it at the right spot and let the expensive gear do the rest.

And yes, that 24mm f/1.4L is still in the back of my mind. There's a good chance it'll enter my bag before I get to Scandanavia again for shots of the Aurora but that's at least a year away so I think I'll be fine until then.