Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fees for an on-site product shoot??

Smile Fees for an on-site product shoot??

Having never shot something like this before, I thought I might get some opinion on what to charge.

I have to travel to an engineering shop(40mins) and take some product shots of some mining equipment they make for a catalogue to be distributed throughout the world. One mill is about 5metres long and the other is about 30metres long and this last one may be taken to another location for its portraits.

I have no idea what to charge, after processing the images, I will be just forwarding the hi-res images to the client and they will use them and own them from then on.

Any thoughts on what to charge? A friend who works for the company has got me this gig.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

No idea, but i do have a suggestion.
    Find a local photographer or two, ring them up pretending to be a mining company looking for the exact same shoot and licensing conditions, and ask them for a quote (then undercut it by about 10-20%, depending on how certain you are of getting the gig).

We also just had a pro photographer in here taking shots of a (coincidentally) mining-system control panel that i designed, I should go ask the marketing girls what they paid. The guy's gear wasn't even that impressive, a DX nikon of some description (old enough to be one of the <15mp ones, not the new 24mp-based ones) and what looked like a kit zoom lens. At least his lighting rig was good, and he definitely knew what he was doing with it, that counts for a lot more than sensor-IQ.
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 11-07-2012 at 05:18 AM.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Thanks Doc, would be interested to know what they were charged.
    Any other ideas what may be charged for on-site large product photography?
    Steve U

Steve, here are my thoughts.

Figure out what a good lock smith makes by the hour for a service call. Figure in travel time and an hour for PP then shoot them a price. If it is to much for them, cut a deal and have fun knowing your work is published and keep your day job.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Steve, here are my thoughts.

Figure out what a good lock smith makes by the hour for a service call. Figure in travel time and an hour for PP then shoot them a price. If it is to much for them, cut a deal and have fun knowing your work is published and keep your day job.
    They are only a mining company, could they afford my rates??
    Steve U

That's a hard one. I did a lot of corporate shots for my work (we're pretty much one of the largest underground mining operations in the country) in my own time but I charged them a fortune because that's what they're used to. I charged them $4,500 for three days of shooting plus about 1,000 processed images delivered. I also charged them for servicing my camera and lenses afterward due to the dust underground (not so bad through the smelters and concentrators).

I'm not sure you'll be in that position with these guys though. It's a hard one for sure. Let us know how you go.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    They are only a mining company, could they afford my rates??
    I think if you can get the $4500 btaylor mentioned then yes they can afford your rates. Cut his rates and shoot them a price of $4450.

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
    That's a hard one. I did a lot of corporate shots for my work (we're pretty much one of the largest underground mining operations in the country) in my own time but I charged them a fortune because that's what they're used to. I charged them $4,500 for three days of shooting plus about 1,000 processed images delivered. I also charged them for servicing my camera and lenses afterward due to the dust underground (not so bad through the smelters and concentrators).

I'm not sure you'll be in that position with these guys though. It's a hard one for sure. Let us know how you go.
    That is good work if you can get it Ben, well done.

And Rick I love your entrepreneurial skills.
    Steve U

Not sure what you normally charge for an hourly rate, but some things to keep in mind...

-Travel Expense (fuel, travel time)
    -Shoot Time
    -Gear rentals. Do you know where the mills are located? Will you need to bring your own lighting?
    -Will the 30 meter mill be relocated to its shoot location prior to you arriving onsite, or are you going to sit around while they relocate it? Don't wanna be waiting around for free if they're the ones that are unprepared.
    -Most importantly! - Licensing of your images. They're getting hi res files? For their use and ownership? To be distributed worldwide? How many copies of their brochure do they expect to print? Are they using the image online as well? Are you licensing the images to them for 6 months, a year, forever? Do you still own the image copyright so you can use it for your own portfolio? This is where you need to put the most thought into your costs.

Quote Originally Posted by acmojica View Post
    Not sure what you normally charge for an hourly rate, but some things to keep in mind...

-Travel Expense (fuel, travel time)
    -Shoot Time
    -Gear rentals. Do you know where the mills are located? Will you need to bring your own lighting?
    -Will the 30 meter mill be relocated to its shoot location prior to you arriving onsite, or are you going to sit around while they relocate it? Don't wanna be waiting around for free if they're the ones that are unprepared.
    -Most importantly! - Licensing of your images. They're getting hi res files? For their use and ownership? To be distributed worldwide? How many copies of their brochure do they expect to print? Are they using the image online as well? Are you licensing the images to them for 6 months, a year, forever? Do you still own the image copyright so you can use it for your own portfolio? This is where you need to put the most thought into your costs.
    Thank you for this a lot of good info and a lot more to think about.
    Cheers,
    steve
    Steve U