Thread: wildlife criticisim

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: wildlife criticisim

If you're taking pictures of large animals, I would suggest also researching what Howard Hill has to say about photographinig animals. He's best known as a hunter via the longbow, but what he says about photographing large game is quite valuable.

The nutshell version is that moose, elephants, rhinos, bears, pigs, elk, lions, whatever... are all potentially lethal. Even if you think you know how a type of animal behaves, every individual is different and unpredictable. If you're not afraid of them, you have no business getting close to them, hunting or photographing. He pointed out the case of a missionary/elephant hunter he had met who was absolutely convinced, after killing scores of elephants, that an elephant would cease charging if you shot it in the head. A few months later than man was killed by an elephant who continued charging after being shot several times in the head.

I remember at a the top of a mountain in Wyoming, a woman chasing after a 'little' black bear with a camcorder. I could have taken that woman out with one leg, one arm, and a fork, and even with a couple of rambo knives I wouldn't get near a black bear. It'll probably run away, but you don't want to bet your life on that for a photograph.

Be careful dude. It doesn't take a stupid person to do stupid things. I've done far more than my share myself []

Re: wildlife criticisim

And that's why I stick to macro.