Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thanks to Bryan for the excellent review of 6D

Canon really should make Rebels able to use 1/3 ISO stops. That seems like a really petty thing to deny a very capable DSLR.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stephen View Post
    Busted: Yes, weight. I now want the Oben tripod + Oben ballhead which is rated to support 17.6 lbs. That is a higher weight rating than 90% of the tripods B&H sells, and it is definitely the least expensive of the few other ones that sturdy.
    I too stepped up the tripod gear for the 5diii - just got one of the "mid brands" tripods that has a machined aluminum platform, 4 section, CF rated for 13 lbs - which for my hiking around purposes seems MUCH more stable than the cheapy carbon fiber I had been using. The top section of the legs is 29 mm or just over 1 1/8th inches is diameter - which seems to be the key w/ the machined aluminum platform. i think I paid 140 w/o head.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    Canon really should make Rebels able to use 1/3 ISO stops. That seems like a really petty thing to deny a very capable DSLR.

Dave
    Depending on which Rebel you're interested in, Magic Lantern may be able to help (use at your own risk). :-)

Personally, I wouldn't mind only having single-stop ISO, that's how I've got my 7D set up to work anyway. With 1/3-stop lenses and 1/3-stop shutter speeds I don't really notice missing ISO. Except in my 'OMG a Bird!' C3-mode, that's on Tv 1/400s with auto-iso, the camera still uses 1/3-stop ISO in auto.
    When I'm using film in my EOS 3, iso is obviously fixed, I still get 1/3 stop lenses (mostly my 40mm for street shots) and 1/3 stop shutters.
    Only when I'm on a stupidly old camera with fixed film iso, 1 or 1/2 stop lenses and 1 stop shutter speeds do I even notice I can't get the *exact* ev I want, but pushing/pulling a bit in post isn't so hard...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos