Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting Up and using FoCal (beta) for mac

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I tried FoCal for the first time yesterday and I had to go find one of my DSLR boxes to find the cable. I've been shooting for [several] years and had never shot tethered before. I always take out the card when transferring images to the computer. :-)
    I have always been too cheap to buy a card reader, when it is so easy to just plug the camera in to the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen View Post
    How did you find FoCal? I gave it a try ~1year ago when I first got my 7d and found it much simpler than trying to afma the old fashioned way...

I'm actually going to set up again and redo the calibration on my lenses. I'm wondering if the microadjustment could have changed (maybe bumping the camera/lens around could change it a bit?). Does anyone regularly re-check afma or is it just not necessary (unless obvious problems are noted)?

Stephen
    I really like the software so far. There were about 3 or 4 times the tests stopped because of an error. Something along the lines of "FoCal could not initiate Mirror Lockup" (even though the auto calibration test was almost finished). The bad part about it is that the program throws out all data from a test if it doesn't fully complete, so you can't even see the data it's already accumulated.

All I had to do was rerun the tests after the errors, though. I'm not sure if the error is common or if the fact that I'm running MagicLantern on my 5D Mark II had anything to do with it.

Otherwise, I thought the overall process was significantly faster, better, and less frustrating than having to do the process manually. I like the charts that are produced.

There were one or two instances where I thought the AFMA suggested value was 1 number off of what I thought the optimal value should be based on the test results. I think the program favors values based on the peak of the bell curve that it calculates using all the data points. If one side of the AFMA tested values tests significantly worse than the other side, then I feel the program over compensates by choosing a value closer to its calculated bell curve that may indeed be skewed slightly because of unbalanced poor values on each end.

That said, I only chose a number 1 off from where it suggested based on the charted data. I feel like it does a great job on the whole.

Takes a long time to pull 10-20 GB of images over USB - FW800 or an ExpressCard reader are a lot faster.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm interested to see if my afma values have changed... I do have better lighting now (just got a couple new halogen work lights 500W each) so I suspect that could affect things since my lighting the first time around wasn't that good and I hear FoCal results are highly dependant on good light. Also, now that I think about it, my 15-85 was sent to canon for servicing recently and I forgot to redo afma when I got it back...maybe I should really get on that...

(BTW sorry for hijacking the thread...)

Stephen

I am having issues getting FoCal Pro (beta) to run on my mac. I can get it to run in automatic mode, but when I select anything else, the program shuts down, and to use it again, even for automatic mode, I need to re-launch it.
    I am assuming that I am doing something wrong and have sent several notes to try and resolve the issue. What I wanted to do initially, was to install FoCal on my MAC and then install a copy of it on my laptop (WIN7) so I could use it in the field. I am interested in downloading a copy of the present WIN7 program (not beta) and installing it on my laptop. My questions are can I use my present license to do this (camera and lens information will not change), will the changes using two different op/sys create any issues, and if I can use my present license, how to I go about downloading the program to my laptop (as it will probably ask me to purchase it.
    Needless to say, I do appreciate your assistance and/or direction.

I think that by simply using the download link in your email on your Windows & laptop, you should be able to use the registration code found within the email without any problems.

Again, since you're using the program with the same camera(s), and Reikan has those serial numbers, they can validate that you are using the program within the guidelines of its intended use.

Noel, go to this link and log on to your FoCal account.
    Top line says "Already Purchased". You can download there. You can also add or take away camera serial numbers. You do not have to buy another copy.
    http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/purchase/

Reiken sold you the Windows version. You get to help them test the Mac Beta for free because you bought the Windows version.

Edit; I am getting a error message off the link the site is down. I was getting that earlier and was able to access Reikan by looking it up on Google.