Thread: 17-55 ef-s + 24-105, or 24-70 2.8?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    @HDNitehawk- Thanks for the advice. Seriously considering getting the 24-105 and selling it along with the 17-55. Plan on keeping my 7D, both to have a backup body, and for the extra reach for wildlife and other far-away shots. Or would a cropped full-frame shot at 300mm still be better than a 7D/300mm shot?

Quote Originally Posted by gbc View Post
    @HDNitehawk- Thanks for the advice. Seriously considering getting the 24-105 and selling it along with the 17-55. Plan on keeping my 7D, both to have a backup body, and for the extra reach for wildlife and other far-away shots. Or would a cropped full-frame shot at 300mm still be better than a 7D/300mm shot?
    It is the AF on the 7D for action shots that you will miss the most. You say wildlife, if you are talking stationary deer or sitting birds you would not miss the 7D as much with the 6D when you crop. If you are talking birds in flight then the 7D would be the choice to keep. Neuro's description is accurate of what to expect with the IQ on the long end.

My philosophy is this, I would rather have the best of the best that I can afford for my favorite type of photography. Make do with that gear for the rest. I would give up the back up or a bit of reach to have the best gear for my favorite type of shooting.