Thread: Self Portrait

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yep, I like it Caleb. Reminds me of the cutshots used on SNL. Care to share the setup?

Quote Originally Posted by rlriii13 View Post
    Yep, I like it Caleb. Reminds me of the cutshots used on SNL. Care to share the setup?
    Thank you very much! =)

The setup is simple really, that was some of my motivation to take try the shot actually. Alright, so I'm standing up. I set the 5D III at eye level on a tripod about 5 feet from myself with a Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. The setting are as follows: f/8 aperture, ISO 100, 1/200 shutter speed. I set up two 200 watt strobes with the standard dish on both to get a nice, hard light. I put one light about a foot above my head, about 2 feet from me and off to one the side. The second light isn't even needed for this image. I was using it as a rim light for the back of my head but it's not showing up in this image and I'm fine with that. So really, one light is all it needs.
    I started without the sunglasses and hat but my blond, short hair wasn't working. This is much better looking.
    I hope that explains it okay. Thanks!
    Caleb Royer

Canon 5D III / 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 100 2.8 macro / 50 1.8 II / 580EX II / two strobes / iMac / Creative Cloud