Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
I have done a couple weddings and all of them had the situation you are referring to. Lightroom 4 helps with it's ability to use the adjustment brush to fix lighting, but it takes a lot of work and still doesn't turn out perfect. Most weddings don't allow flash during the ceremony, so you are stuck with the lighting you have. Shoot in RAW. I have always had someone stand directly where the bride and groom will be prior to the wedding starting with the same light it will have and have them hold a gray card. You could stand there and do the gray card trick yourself also. That way you'll at least have the light the temp you want. (just don't forget to set it back later if you choose this path). The other option is black and white. Here are a couple examples of my black and white stuff. You can see the light shining from up above. It was nasty light. I shot this with a 7D, 70-200 f/4 IS at f/4 and either ISO 1600 or 3200. Can't remember specifics since it was a couple years back. Processed in LR3 and CS5.

Its not the best solution, but the one I chose. I don't shoot weddings for a living and hardly do much photography anymore. Maybe someone else who shoots weddings for a living can give you a better pointer.

Thanks for all the tips, Jayson! =)

Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post
I do weddings and have done so for years with all sorts of bad light.
I've come to expect that bad light during the ceremony is the rule.
I would be glad to review some of your shots and give suggestions.
I usually work the ceremony with a 24-70 and a speed light.
Except when flash is not allowed I rely on my 24mm 1.4 and 85 1.2 but watch your dept of field,
Luckily most of the wedding party is not moving so a low speed can usually work
I would definately push the ISO before dropping the speed below 100 or AP less than 2.0
The 5DIII is an extreme shot saver and I can shoot in church at 6400 with no real degredation of quality.
As far as florescents overhead, I try to turn them off if they are above the bride and groom, no amount of white balance can fix the hair once lit with the florescent.
I also have a second assist use a 70-200 from the back of he church and/or from the balcony.
I will convert to BW when I really want to keep a shot but have poor color.
You had the advantage of white walls to use for a bounce which can work in your favor.
Weddings are a unique challange and if you are not completely confortable you really need a second experienced photographer.
Wow, that all makes a lot of sense! Thank you!

I'd love for you to look at some of my images. I've never gotten any professional criticism whatsoever. Here's an image of ceremony. Straight out of the camera except for a little exposure adjustment:

Here's a wide shot to show you the building:

And here's my best work. The first image is of the bride was shot in the same place that the ceremony took place in the above images only I bounced the flash off the wall: http://www.behance.net/gallery/Wedding/7846561

Thank you for your help and info, I really appreciate it. Do you have a website I could visit? By the way, if you're ever looking for a second shooter or someone to hold stuff I would be very interested in getting the job.