Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wedding photograpy training offer.

Wedding photograpy training offer.

To be honest my interest in this forum has been decreasing over time. I have been a member since 2008 and I still check the forum every day, but I am finding less and less that I am interested in. I enjoy the equipment discussions and some of the technical aspects are stimulating.
    But my bottom line is still a desire to get the best images that I can. I really enjoy the discussions that get directly to image quality, image composition, and technique for image capture.
    My specialty is weddings, I find members dabbling with weddings here and there and I have been impressed with some of the results. But there is so much more to being a wedding photographer.
    I’ve seen a few of you struggle with your first wedding and you seem to be getting a lot of technical feedback on cameras, and lenses, and lights, when to be honest you need to spend more time on the nontechnical aspects of this art.
    I would be glad to start a series of discussions related to the wedding business if there is enough interest on this forum. I would like to bring back the ‘art’ of wedding photography and prepare you for your first or third or tenth event. I will be honest and tough on the images you post but only in attempt to make you better.
    Thanks

That sounds like a great idea!

I do not think I will ever be a wedding photographer (I do not think I have the personality for it), but I would love to learn more about shooting people. Currently I shoot things, and landscapes; but I suck at shooting people. There is more to wedding photography than just portraiture, but it is a big part of it and I would certainly enjoy the learning experience.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

iND....thanks for the generous offer. First of all, I've gotten away from asking for C&Cs on any photos I post, but feel free to give feedback to any of my photos.

I attended two weddings last fall where I took a fair number of photos. The first one, I was very impressed with the Pros. Not only did they have good gear (5DII with 24-70 f/2.8 and a 1DIV with a 70-200 f/2.8 with warmer gels on their flashes, etc), but they worked hard. Constantly shooting, working on unique angles (ladders at the reception, shooting from the floor), etc. Second wedding, the pros were ok. Not as impressive as the first group, but still good.

But I took this as a good chance to gauge my photography and compared my shots to the pros. In the comparison, some of the gear differences were obvious (at the time, I was shooting with the 7D/EFS 15-85 or 50 f/1.8 with a EX 580 II), and of course a skill difference, but I also noticed a distinct "style" to the post processing of both sets of pros and I was wondering if you could comment. The pros photos certainly "popped." I believe they increased contrast and color saturation, slightly overexposed most imagines (although, sometimes I think I underexpose), and went with slightly "cooler" white balance.

I am sure there is a lot to individual style here, but I did find it interesting that there were similarities between the pros (one in NH and the other in AZ). I was wondering if you could comment on post processing style and the general look you go for in wedding photos.

After that, +1 with what Pat said and being interested in learning more about shooting people.

Thanks,
    Brant
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 04-02-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Wow, could I have used this last fall! I don't have any plans to ever shoot a wedding again but am still very interested in reading the thread. I don't post much here anymore mainly because #1 my gear has dwindled down so much and so #2 I've gotten more into learning various post-processing techniques which I don't think there are too many fans here for that.

I still pop in every day and look forward to reading what you post!

Good topic. I am an engineer by day and a wedding/portrait photographer by weekend. I have been doing this since since 1999. I have improved a great deal over the last few years thanks in part to this forum. Being an engineer I do tend to focus on the technical side. My wife helps a great deal with the posing. She refuses though to learn any of the technical side. I am a person of few words so I do not give critique much on images I see here. I like anyone here have plenty of room to learn more and look forward to some great discussions.
    Let me start it off
    One of the hardest is a bride that is overweight and to make matters worse, a strapless dress . What are some of these brides thinking when they pick out a dress .
    Also to make it even more difficult she forgot her flowers. From now on I will be bringing some nice fake flowers just in case. It helps break up the large dress .

Critique away
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0182_fpvp.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	1794
    For this next one I was on a ladder. For overweight people it helps to shoot from above
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0051_fpv.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	1795
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    I've gotten more into learning various post-processing techniques which I don't think there are too many fans here for that.
    ME!
    I have seen some fantastic PP from you and are sometimes jealous. I have learned a lot lately but still have a long way to go. We probably need a thread on this as well.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    ME!
    I have seen some fantastic PP from you and are sometimes jealous. I have learned a lot lately but still have a long way to go. We probably need a thread on this as well.
    Really???? I have shunned away from here because I just feel I don't have the equipment or skills to post anything close to the great shots I see here but if anyone else is interested in a thread on more artsy-craftsy type of post-processing using textures, layers, brushes, etc. please let me know. I would love to put an ongoing type thread (blog) here if there is interest for it. Keep in mind though I am still learning also so input would be appreciated. I have even started making my own textures and can post them for free downloading and usage if anyone wants them as they become available..

Denise

EDIT: I should add that if anyone would like to see what Mark & I are referring to, please feel free to view my flickr pages, they have more of this than my personal website.
    Last edited by ddt0725; 04-02-2013 at 01:26 AM.

Denise.....you have a great eye and great creativity. Don't sell yourself short. I vote you start the thread.....I love almost all types of unconventional processing

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Really???? I have shunned away from here because I just feel I don't have the equipment or skills to post anything close to the great shots I see here

And how many people here have had their images published in Popular Photography
    Mark