Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about the 600ex-rt flash

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It is an impressive flash. As I have the 5DIII I'd have some of the capabilities you are mentioning...but probably not the know-how . But that is what makes photography fun.

So, in general it seems that the 600 EX-RT has some nice advantages over the 580 EX II. But the biggest advantage seems to be the RT. I actually did use my 580 EX II off camera triggered by the on camera flash of the 7D, which is no longer an option with the 5DIII. But I did this very rarely and probably not enough to justify $300 for a transmitter or an additional $500 for a second 600 EX-RT. That is, unless I can come up with additional uses.

So, I've been trying to think how I might use a set up beyond a single flash. All the videos were focused on "pro-like" portraiture photography, which I really do not do much of. And I don't see showing up at family functions with a two to three 3 ft softboxes to set up a mini-studio. The additional uses I've come up with is enhancing the family portraits I already do (a couple a year), portraits of my newborn neice and nephew, and small waterfalls which often have uneven lighting.

So, I have two questions for the group:
    1) Other than professional type portraits, what do you use RT for?
    2) Does anyone have a small, not intrusive, softbox/etc set up for family portraits and photos of my neice and nephew? It would need to travel as my family lives all over the country.

Thanks in advance,
    Brant

Re: Question about the 600ex-rt flash

Shooting interiors. You wouldn't have to have line of sight. Although if done optically, you'd only need to hit one for all to go off, you still can't buy an older flash for the price of the newer with rt.
    Adorama often has demos of cheaper small boxes. The prices of good ones are often much higher.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    So, in general it seems that the 600 EX-RT has some nice advantages over the 580 EX II. But the biggest advantage seems to be the RT. I actually did use my 580 EX II off camera triggered by the on camera flash of the 7D, which is no longer an option with the 5DIII. But I did this very rarely and probably not enough to justify $300 for a transmitter or an additional $500 for a second 600 EX-RT. That is, unless I can come up with additional uses.

So, I've been trying to think how I might use a set up beyond a single flash. All the videos were focused on "pro-like" portraiture photography, which I really do not do much of. And I don't see showing up at family functions with a two to three 3 ft softboxes to set up a mini-studio. The additional uses I've come up with is enhancing the family portraits I already do (a couple a year), portraits of my newborn neice and nephew, and small waterfalls which often have uneven lighting.

2) Does anyone have a small, not intrusive, softbox/etc set up for family portraits and photos of my neice and nephew? It would need to travel as my family lives all over the country.

Thanks in advance,
    Brant
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Living room fort.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	1820

I find myself using the RT feature more and more when I'm inside with my son. For example on this shot I had flash in the other room on top of a table because it was the best place for it and there would be little chance of him running into it while playing. I'd had tried similar things in the past with the pop up flash speedlite controller on the 60D without much success, I needed the RT to properly trigger it.
    Patrick

Question about the 600ex-rt flash

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post

I'm not sure that a decent lighting kit could be 'small and portable' - car travel, yes, but even a couple of short light stands and umbrellas would probably require a good part of a checked bag.

I use the RT system for family events at the house. I put flashes in the corner of rooms, either with Justin clamps or on light stands, pointed at the ceiling. Gives consistent overhead lighting wherever I'm pointing the camera in the room, as long as I don't include a flash head in the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I use the RT system for family events at the house. I put flashes in the corner of rooms, either with Justin clamps or on light stands, pointed at the ceiling. Gives consistent overhead lighting wherever I'm pointing the camera in the room, as long as I don't include a flash head in the shot.
    That is pretty much exactly what I did for Easter when my son was hunting for his basket.
    Patrick

Thanks for the responses everyone and for starting this thread Gregg.....I just monitored several sales of the 580 EX II and it looks like they are going for $350-$370 on ebay. That is enough where I think I'll upgrade.

I'll swap ya a tripod for your two 580exII

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke View Post
    I'll swap ya a tripod for your two 580exII
    But I only have one 580 EX II

I'll settle for your camera then. I'm easy to work with