Thread: Aurora Photography - lessons and learnings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jonathan:

Your camera has menu setting of "Long exp. noise reduction" and "High ISO speed NR". Do you turn these off?

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Jonathan:

Your camera has menu setting of "Long exp. noise reduction" and "High ISO speed NR". Do you turn these off?

Pat
    Pat - You will generally want to turn off the long exposure noise reduction, since that will delay the interval time that you can take photos. I believe the noise reduction takes the same length of time as the original shot, so it will affect your time-lapse shots the most. In addition, when the aurora starts to take off you will want to take photos as fast as possible, and having to wait for the noise reduction to do its thing would be frustrating. I believe the High ISO speed NR impacts JPEG files only (please correct me if I'm wrong here). I just leave it on the default setting but I shoot in Raw only, and do my own noise reduction with Lightroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    ...I believe the High ISO speed NR impacts JPEG files only (please correct me if I'm wrong here). I just leave it on the default setting but I shoot in Raw only, and do my own noise reduction with Lightroom.
    Thanks for the response. I agree on the first point, and I just leave long exposure NR off. But I was not sure if the high ISO NR effected RAW or just jpeg. I made the assumption it only effected jpeg's so I left it off, and assumed I would take care of it in post (I only shot RAW). Looks like I guessed correctly (I will confirm this to be the case with the manual).

Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr